Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog Chicken

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
I have been wanting to try Cen-Tex's approach to chicken, so I gave it a whirl.  Chicken was awesome, but skin continues to be my kryptonite.

Chicken chilling after the herb brine.

My alcoholic beverage for 2013.  As you can see, I don't even have cool drinking glasses like @haptster, so it's obvious I rarely drink.

Chicken was roasted raised direct at 350 with cherry wood.  Seasoned with DP Tsunami Spin and finished with Blues Hog Original.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• ooooh Russian Standard. If you are going to drink, might as well make it the good stuff. That's my favorite.

Try a little dusting of corn starch on the skin next time. Really crisps it up nicely. Yours looks different than mine. I think I let the sauce caramelize a little more. It ends up dark and sticky.

I think your skin on the egg looks really good. What was wrong with it? I put the BH over that and let it really get sticky before pulling it off.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Looks pretty good from my seat @cazzy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Beautiful
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • and I do 350 indirect

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks terrific, nice job on the sides.  Skin looks fine to me, cherry adds color.
    edited June 2013
    ooooh Russian Standard. If you are going to drink, might as well make it the good stuff. That's my favorite.

Try a little dusting of corn starch on the skin next time. Really crisps it up nicely. Yours looks different than mine. I think I let the sauce caramelize a little more. It ends up dark and sticky.

I think your skin on the egg looks really good. What was wrong with it? I put the BH over that and let it really get sticky before pulling it off.

I had no f'n clue if it was good or not so I'm happy to hear it has your approval!  I bought it two years ago and the guy at Costco recommended it.  It was on sale too.  :)

Good tips!  I will try the cornstarch next time.  It curled up, was chewy and was really really dark.  I will leave on the blues hog longer next time too.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    What about the skin did you not like? Looks good to me @cazzy
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • cazzy
    and I do 350 indirect

OK, will do that next time!
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Just in case you didn't notice, the plated picture is without the skin.  
  • cazzy said:
    ooooh Russian Standard. If you are going to drink, might as well make it the good stuff. That's my favorite.

I had no f'n clue if it was good or not so I'm happy to hear it has your approval!  I bought it two years ago and the guy at Costco recommended it.  It was on sale too.  :)

Good tips!  I will try the cornstarch next time.  It curled up, was chewy and was really really dark.  I will leave on the blues hog longer next time too.
    mine looks just like your pic on the egg. Then I glaze it. try the corn starch- it looks really good to me but if it was chewy, the cornstarch will really crisp it up.

• cazzy
  • cazzy
    I guess I'm a visual person and didn't like the way the skin pulled back.  I remember yours looking much better.
  • wow- definitely looks different than mine. I do indirect and I do corn starch. maybe that's the diff? I didn't even dry mine last time after the brine and it sill crisped up.

• cazzy

wow- definitely looks different than mine. I do indirect and I do corn starch. maybe that's the diff? I didn't even dry mine last time after the brine and it sill crisped up.

I just pulled off my spatch for my dinner project and it looked much better. Go figure
  • Cool. This is what mine look like. Try indirect next time. See if that helps.

imageimage
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2013
    Get you fire to 400 and skin will be fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    cazzy said:
    I have been wanting to try Cen-Tex's approach to chicken, so I gave it a whirl.  Chicken was awesome, but skin continues to be my kryptonite.

My alcoholic beverage for 2013.  As you can see, I don't even have cool drinking glasses like @haptster, so it's obvious I rarely drink.

Chicken was roasted raised direct at 350 with cherry wood.  Seasoned with DP Tsunami Spin and finished with Blues Hog Original.

@Cazzy - I used to live in the former Soviet republic of Georgia. When we wanted to go "upscale" we had Russian Standard vodka as shown in you pic. For value and taste, I I still think it is superb vodka. Had some this evening. 
    LBGE and Mini
  • Springram said:
    cazzy said:

@Cazzy - I used to live in the former Soviet republic of Georgia. When we wanted to go "upscale" we had Russian Standard vodka as shown in you pic. For value and taste, I I still think it is superb vodka. Had some this evening. 
    love the Russian Standard

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited June 2013
    +1 with @Mickey

I always do my chicken breasts and wings indirect @ 400F-475F and always have crispy skin.

When we use sauce, we add it in the last 20-25 minutes of the cook.

@cazzy, looks great. Since you're in SA, if you have the chance, try the local stuff, grab some Enchanted Rock... very smooth.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Got my Elster package from Travis today. Can't wait to try blues hog
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013