Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Regular bricks vs. fire bricks

Can I use regular bricks in the egg to raise the grate in the dome or should I look at getting fire bricks?
Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• CharlieTNCharlieTN Posts: 177
    My understanding is that they will nothold up the heat.  Might just simply break but there is also the possibility of some more interesting results such as violently breaking.
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,917
    I use some leftover paver stones on my egg (have used them for pizza cooks in excess of 500) and have not had one break (yet).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 2,036
    Have you thought about getting one of Weber's 18 inch cooking grids and just installing four 3-inch SS carriage bolts to it with nuts and washers so you can simply set it on your base cooking grid?  I've done this over 2 years ago, and it works great!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 10,010
    You don't want to use regular brick if you're building a wood fired oven. Over time, they will start to flake, adding some interesting texture to your food. For what you're doing, you'll be fine.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

Woody Allen

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wbradkingwbradking Posts: 318
    @jaydub58 ; Yeah, I've seen pic's of that and it looks like something I'll try out.

@Carolina_Q ; Noted.  I guess if they do flake out, they'll just drop down to the fire ring.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,617
    Concrete is OK, Clay not so much. I prefer fire brick, will last a long time and you can clean burn them without worry. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,777
    I've been using regular paver bricks since day one.  No problems.  Even when I'm doing pizza.