Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg goes to the Cabin

Options
Its been awhile since I have made a post, but don't worry my eggs have been just as busy as us. Summer is off to a great start and we had a family reunion at Blue Springs Ranch which is right on the Meramec River in Missouri. We were expecting 40 plus people and had many of the meals already planned to feed that many people, but I did bring my Small Egg to have a couple great meals while we were enjoying the outdoors. We arrived on Friday night and got settled in to the cabin. Which of course means finding the spot for the egg before unloading the rest of the truck.. 

Pretty cool cabin and we went for the one with the big kitchen.

The next day was the group float on the river, but we were on our own for dinner so I went with a boston butt. I decided to bring along the DigiQ so I wouldn't have to worry about anything and could go on the river with everyone. Here is a shot with my mobile setup. I love the Rio Adventure Roll-Top Table my sister got my for Christmas last year, so easy to put together and has its own bag to travel with. 

Once the egg was stable at 250° I put on the pork that was rubbed with some Bad Byron's Butt Rub the night before. I had a mix of cherry and apple wood chips.

Now it was time to hit the river for a 10 mile paddle! We brought 4 kayaks, my uncle brought 3 and we rented 5 more and a giant raft. 

I really like floating the Meramec River, so scenic and the water is so clear. 

After the great float trip it was time to check on the Pork. Pulled at 195° and let rest for about an hour. 

We decided to share and brought it down to the big log cabin which was the main gathering spot for the week. It disappeared faster than I ever expected but there were lots of hungry paddlers. I may have convinced some of my family to get a egg! 

I went the rest of the week without my camera and phone so I didn't get any pictures of any other cooks, but we had a chili cook off and I entered @egret 's Cow Lickin Chilli and tied for first place! I think it was a tad spicy for some people and we had some voter fraud, but I was happy to share the trophy. 

We also had a Flinstones themed party with giant turkey legs for dinner, there are pictures but none on my camera so I will post some of those later. 

It was a great week to get to relax and see some of the extended family I don't get to see often enough. 

I hope everyone's summer is off to a good start! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Wow looks like great trip.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Awesome trip man!! Was starting to miss you!

We moved last week and my eggs never left my sight! I had some supervised helping them but they road in my car in seat belts. First thing I set up at the new house 8-} all my friends helping thought I was nuts and kept looking at the egg like it was some kind of spaceship. Kept turning and scratching their head saying, "that's a grill??"

Planning a big rib butt party for all the helpers we had sometime soon.
    Solson005 said:

Which of course means finding the spot for the egg before unloading the rest of the truck..

XLBGE 
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    Looks like a great week.  We do a similar thing on the Shenandoah River.  I bet that Butt made a bunch of people happy!  Good job
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    thanks @CPARKTX it was a really fun trip! 

@MrCookingNurse Thanks I've been crazy busy with a new job, vacation, and just summertime in general. All your helpers will start to understand once you have them over for some egg'd food! At least we have our priorities straight! 

@TurtleCreek thank you it was a great week and the pork disappeared so fast I barely got any. But thats ok I can always make more.  I just looked up the Shenandoah River, that looks like quite the place! That is one part of the country I need to explore more. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    Nice setup! Looks like a great spot and trip!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Good to see you @Solson005.  Looks like a great trip filled with food, family and fun.  My wife is trying to tell me there isn't enough room for the small on our upcoming trip to the Ozarks, little does she know that I will be packing the car and the first thing in the hatch will be the Egg.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options

Looks like a great time.  Love floating down a nice river like that.

• Solson005
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks @Jamieoro trips like this made me get the small egg.

@Scottborasjr I like the way you think! I even brought my inflatable screen and projector but it rained the nights we had planned for a outdoor movie so I set the screen up inside the log cabin for the kiddos while it poured outside. We packed so much stuff it was crazy!

I hope to get to Lake of the Ozarks sometime next month, your going to have a blast in that awesome lake house!

@CharlieTN thanks, this is my third trip to this river and I've paddled different sections each time. It's one of my favorites!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Glad your back Solson. Looks like a good time was had by all.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Solson005
    Options
    @shtgunal3 thanks it was fun. A little busier these days, but I'm still cooking away out on the eggs!