Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Keeping temp below 300 problems

I am having problem keeping the temp below 300. I had no problems for a long time (the first year I owned my Egg) then I replaced my gasket and the egg always wants to stay around 285 or higher. It passes the dollar bill test and the vents are nearly closed (pics below). The only thing I can think is that I need to clear out the silicon around the draft door and re-caulk since it seems to be degrading and cracking and maybe that is letting air in. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help in advance!

imageimage
image.jpg 231.8K
image.jpg 195.1K
·

Comments

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    How much lump are you lighting and how long are you letting it preheat for?
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Full load of lump. I have ribs on. Let it creep up to about 265 and stabilized it. Put on the meat and once the meat came to temp the Egg crept to 300. Has been happening since I changed the gasket. It's odd since the first 100 low and slows I had no issues and now that I changed the gasket it is giving me some trouble.
    ·
    I'm stumped. I would try lighting at fewer places? and shut it down sooner? seems weird because it seems as though you have a winning combo aside from the temp creep.
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,348
    Have you confirmed your thermometer readings? Also when vents are closed off that much are you seeing smoke come out anywhere it isn't supposed to?
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
    how long has the temp been creeping? maybe it just needs time to ramp down. How long did you let it stabilize?
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    But does it creep back down, after the meat reaches temperature?  Mine does the same thing, stabilized at 225, load the meat in, drops to 210, then as the meat gets hot it starts creeping up as high as 275 (which isn't hurting the cook) . but then VERY slowly returns to 225 -- like three hours later.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,827
    Seems to me even with a badly sealed lower vent, you should be able to hold lower temps using the DFMT, close it some more. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    On low and slows I only light in one spot in the middle. I usually let it stabilize for 45 or so minutes. No smoke coming from anywhere it shouldn't be. I am stumped also. However, I just pulled off some sausage that was on so now there are only 3 racks of ribs and temp has dropped to about 265.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    If(?) you have a serious air leakage problem, you would have NO lump left after every cook ??
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,805
    My xl couldn't pass a "deck of cards test" and has no gasket.

You need to light less lump. Plain and simple.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·