Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regular bricks vs. fire bricks

Options
Can I use regular bricks in the egg to raise the grate in the dome or should I look at getting fire bricks?
Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options
    My understanding is that they will nothold up the heat.  Might just simply break but there is also the possibility of some more interesting results such as violently breaking.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I use some leftover paver stones on my egg (have used them for pizza cooks in excess of 500) and have not had one break (yet).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I've used regular bricks and fire bricks. Both work well.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Have you thought about getting one of Weber's 18 inch cooking grids and just installing four 3-inch SS carriage bolts to it with nuts and washers so you can simply set it on your base cooking grid?  I've done this over 2 years ago, and it works great!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You don't want to use regular brick if you're building a wood fired oven. Over time, they will start to flake, adding some interesting texture to your food. For what you're doing, you'll be fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    @jaydub58 Yeah, I've seen pic's of that and it looks like something I'll try out.

@Carolina_Q Noted.  I guess if they do flake out, they'll just drop down to the fire ring.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Concrete is OK, Clay not so much. I prefer fire brick, will last a long time and you can clean burn them without worry. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've been using regular paver bricks since day one.  No problems.  Even when I'm doing pizza.