Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beer brats and onions

Cookbook_ChipCookbook_Chip Posts: 559
edited July 2012 in Pork
I've had my egg a couple months and ribs, steaks and salmon keep coming out so good, I haven't done much else!  But last night, did some beer brats and onions.  Used Dr BBQs recipe - stick of butter in a pan with a couple sweet onions.  Get the onions softening/browning while you get some nice grill marks on the brats.  Then pour a beer (or two) into the onions.  Add the brats and cook until most of the beer has evaporated.  Man!  These tasted fantastic!  (sorry for the soft focus - I think it was the adult beverages)
Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
·

Comments

• pswarrenpswarren Posts: 88
    Those do look great! It has been a while since I have had some good brats, which is sad seeing as I'm in WI.
    ·
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    Looks good.
    ·
  • Thanks @pswarren and @ncbbq Forgot to mention Ihad some beer-butter-onion juice in a cup for an au ju dip that rocked!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    Gotto do that. Thanks for the post.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • trevorsttrevorst Posts: 64
    You cook great Brats and then ruin it with Tater Tots and Frozen Fries ;)
    ·
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    The frozen fries are getting no love today. They are getting bashed over on another thread.
    ·
  • @trevorst man, I know. But ya cooks whats ya gots. I did dip the fries in the au ju if that counts!
    ·
  • Looking good, reminded me that I have some brats in the freezer. Beer brats are mighty tasty.

XL BGE Nested

Several Weber's

Chargriller TRIO

·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    You cook great Brats and then ruin it with Tater Tots and Frozen Fries ;)
    One step at a time!  Steak fries properly marinated on the top of a Swing Rack is the next step.  The perfect finish to "meat and potatos".  I've had some Italian sausage languishing in the freezer and may give it a try with them.  Won't use my beloved Eye of the Hawk ale but maybe some Coors.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • Being from Wisconsin, I know a thing or two about brats and all I have to say is....... =D>
    ·
  • @brewcityegger thanks!
    ·
  • trevorsttrevorst Posts: 64
    @trevorst man, I know. But ya cooks whats ya gots. I did dip the fries in the au ju if that counts!
    I hear ya man.. Just couldn't resist the poke. :-)
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    Ain't nothing wrong with some tots as long as he cooked them on the Egg. You did cook them on the Egg, right Chip?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • @griffin - sure did!  In a foil wrap - and some Dizzy Dust sprinkled on.  But dipping them in the au jus was great!
    ·
  • DelucaDeluca Posts: 97
    Can't get enough of these!
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,317
    Thanks for the idea. From WI myself.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,619
    Those look great, I do something similar with onions, peppers and sauerkraut.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,423
    Dude that us awesome. New egg owners always think they don't have much to add... I'm doing that when I get home. Might add red peppers.

Thanks for posting.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    Great looking brats!  What's funny is that recipe is something Steven Raichlen did too...I wonder who was the originator :)   He called it the Beer Bath for Brats or something like that...

·
  • Nice! What temp?
    ·
  • DelucaDeluca Posts: 97
    I'd say in the 400 to 450. Probably about 45 minutes for the beer to evaporate.
    ·