Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spar URETHANE?

Hey all,just a quick question on urethane should I use clear,semi gloss or gloss urethane (helmsman spar urethane)?

Does it matter?

thanks.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

Sorry this is for a large wooden egg table going outside on my back deck.

I just bought gloss but wasnt sure of the advantages of each type of finish?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Doesn't really matter.  I used semi-gloss.  Gloss is easier to clean.
    Gloss is easiest to clean - I'd recommend that.  Definitely go for the helmsman spar - used for outdoor boat stuff. No matter what, if exposed to sun and heat/cold, you will have maintenance.  I'd recommend a sanding sealer before you put on urethane for the best finish.

If you want to have fun, you can try the table epoxy.. that thick drippy stuff you find in restaurant tables.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

Thanks nola!!!

Gloss it is than.

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    +1 on semi gloss. Gloss can show more imperfections, albeit slightly and semi gloss is still easy to clean. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Actually helmsman doesn't require a sanding sealer.. Most seldom use ss on exterior wood.Jmho. Sand bebetween coats. Be sure to allow time to dry. When sanding a fine white powder will let you know it's ready.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I used helmsman spar on my table and when it gets water on it, it turns white and soft. Anyone else have problems with this or did I do something wrong?
    NW IOWA
  • henapple
    Check the can. Sounds like interior poly.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    might be better to go to a marine store and buy spar varnish, the spar poly helmsman i used on the woodwork in my house stayed relatively soft and scratched easily for about a year before it really hardened up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boombotty
    Boombotty Posts: 39
    I was very dissapointed  with the spar urethane in the sun.  I did 3 coats, sanding between each, and it lasted about 6 months.  I sanded everything back to bare wood, used a clear filling-sealer made by Dupont for their aviation line, then 2 coats of semi-flattened automotive clear.  All this had to be sprayed though a gun, but the results were awesome.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    The can says it was indoor outdoor. I think I'm gonna go back to sherwin Williams and have a chat with the gal who sold it to me.
    NW IOWA
  • nolaegghead
    You can't expect any spar varnish or urethane to last that long unprotected in the weather.  I recommend getting a cover it'll make the finish last much longer.

Hey all,just a quick question on urethane should I use clear,semi gloss or gloss urethane (helmsman spar urethane)?

Does it matter?

thanks.

NONE, any urethane finish is a top layer not a wood absorbing oil. It will work but your creating a lot of labor to start with and a maintenance nightmare. Use Cabot Aussy Oil, Teak Oil or boiled linseed oil, think about your deck stain materials. These will seal the wood, let it breath naturally and require very little in future maintenance.

Just my $.02

Is this thing on? I see smoke.........
  • henapple
    @CANMAN1976... New egg and I know you're excited. One thing to consider. Wait on building the table. I know it'll be tough but it's only time. You'll know more in a few months what you'd really like. Just a thought.

If possible a solid top is really nice... I know you're as excited as a 13 year old boy with a stack of playboys.
  • I agree with Fishless. Get the Epiphanes (sp?) from a marime store. It was$50 a quart (not a misprint) but it onlly took a quart. Of course my table burned to the ground so you should really take everything I say with a large dose of skepticism.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JGM411
    JGM411 Posts: 7
    I am in the finishing process of a BGE Table.  I have the first coat of Interlux Schooner Marine Grade Spar Varnish.  Back in 2008, I built an outdoor dining table for a friend out of old 150 plus year red oak.

At the time of that build, I asked for recommendations on varnish.  A knowledgable member of a woodworking forum recommended staying away from the Spar varnishes found in hardware stores. He recommended Pettit's Captain, Epifanes Clear High Gloss, and Interlux Schooner.

I am glad I listened to him and made my purchase from a sailboat marina supplier.  The table held up well, but is now showing some signs of aging.  I will post pictures of my table when it is completed.
  • Motoboss
    Motoboss Posts: 19
    I agree with Fishless. Get the Epiphanes (sp?) from a marime store. It was$50 a quart (not a misprint) but it onlly took a quart. Of course my table burned to the ground so you should really take everything I say with a large dose of skepticism.
    Now that is some funny stuff there............
    Is this thing on? I see smoke.........
  • nolaegghead
    JGM411 said:
    I am in the finishing process of a BGE Table.  I have the first coat of Interlux Schooner Marine Grade Spar Varnish.  Back in 2008, I built an outdoor dining table for a friend out of old 150 plus year red oak.

At the time of that build, I asked for recommendations on varnish.  A knowledgable member of a woodworking forum recommended staying away from the Spar varnishes found in hardware stores. He recommended Pettit's Captain, Epifanes Clear High Gloss, and Interlux Schooner.

I am glad I listened to him and made my purchase from a sailboat marina supplier.  The table held up well, but is now showing some signs of aging.  I will post pictures of my table when it is completed.
    That my friend, is good advice. 
    Here is a picture of my table with three coats of Interlux Schooner Spar Varnish.  All parts of the table will receive a minimum of 4 coats and the table top at least 6 coats
  • freedog74
    freedog74 Posts: 63
    @JGM441 where did you find the Interlux Schooner Spar Varnish at?  I have a new table and need to put a good sealer on it.
  • nolaegghead
    JGM411 said:
    Here is a picture of my table with three coats of Interlux Schooner Spar Varnish.  All parts of the table will receive a minimum of 4 coats and the table top at least 6 coats
    Go Festool!
    freedog74 said:
    @JGM441 where did you find the Interlux Schooner Spar Varnish at?  I have a new table and need to put a good sealer on it.
    I got it from the local Sailboat Marina here in town.  http://www.westaccess.com/