Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you lower the temp when using a BBQGuru CyberQ

Very first time using a BGE and using a CyberQ.

We are doing a Pork Shoulder at 250 degrees and all was good once we got the grill up to temp.
now an hour in we have inched up to 260 degrees.

My dad and I are confused what to do to get it down, do we want to open or close the top more? It's barely closed right now and we have the choker thing on the Pit Viper fan pretty restricted as well. 

Comments

• Sorry the top is barely OPEN. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2013

Close the top vent and let the fan run against it.  260 degrees isn't going to make any difference in the outcome of the meat.  This is normal.  I try to hold 210 and it will slowly creep up to 270 then very slowly reduce back down..  You had the egg stabilized at 250 --- Right???  If so, and you put this big piece of cold meat, it might even drop a little, but as the meat heats up, the egg has less heat load, and the temperature will begin to raise slowly.

Your fan isn't running because the temperature is higher than your setpoint temperature -- the controller is doing it's job.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited June 2013
    Make sure you have the bottom guard inside the fan only about a third open. The fan will force past it, no worries.

But you want to shut it down so that the cyber q is in control. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    I had a similar problem when I first started using my guru. Thatgrimguy is spot on with closing te damper down in the fan assembly. That'll do it.
  • h3bmr
    h3bmr Posts: 16
    Yes 10 degrees isn't going to affect a low and slow cook much at all.
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Here is a screen shot of one of my last cooks, Please note the big drops in temp is when I opened the lid to add wood or water other then that you can see the Cyber Q keeps it pretty close. This was done with the DFMT petals open about 1/8" and the damper on the Pit Viper at ½"
    Oh ya and Pit Pal for Android ROCKS

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• imageThanks all! First smoke ever looked about right.