Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Anyone have any pics of a raised grid using beer cans?

Im just curious. Been thinkin of trying this with 3-4 cans but i remember throwing cans on campfires when i was a kid and watching them melt down to nothing only to make different colors of fire. Would think it would almost do same thing with a hot egg cook.... I dunno

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,910
    I buy my beer in bottles so I don't use the beer can method to raise my cooking level. However, I can't really see it being a problem.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    image.jpg 865.9K
    NW IOWA
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,349
    Lots of time. Nephew has a calibrated foot can get each can the same height with one stomp. How hot is your cook?
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,505
    Lots of time. Nephew has a calibrated foot can get each can the same height with one stomp. How hot is your cook?

Joan ? Just don't understand what you said.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    as long the compacted cans are the same height they should work. Don't drink beer anymore but I am sure I can find some donor cans to test.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,312
    flynnbob said:

best picture i have seen all day !!!!!

• danv23danv23 Posts: 552
    flynnbob said:

That's just gross.

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 620
    As long as I keep her under 1221 degrees, I am good to go ....   :))
    Milton, GA.
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,910
    flynnbob said:
    As long as I keep her under 1221 degrees, I am good to go ....   :))
    You can't possibly getting enough air flow to have to worry about that.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I was balancing 16 oz cans on the fire ring notches. They are not super stable if not filled with sand. I had one fall when pulling meat. Upon hitting the coals, it immediately started to disintegrate. Not much left when I finally got it with the tongs. I now have a PS Woo2 and greatly appreciate the stability/ease of use.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,030
    flynnbob said:

That should be your avatar...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 620

That should be your avatar...
    Thought about it briefly and enjoy CL but not how I want to be remembered. I am going to have to go with a picture of my canine buddy Flynn who is always by my side.
    Milton, GA.
  • Dust9000Dust9000 Posts: 25

Before my adjustible rig, I used cut copper pipe.  to raise a grid over a brisket.

• AlbertaEggerAlbertaEgger Posts: 997

Closest I have is a raised plank so i could use some side grill...(stuffed chicken)

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada