Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket..... How I do it.

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 7,527
    edited June 2013

cazzy said:

Mickey said:

cazzy said:

I just saw someone drinking shiner in a movie so I thought of this thread. :x

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    @henapple looks like he was just explained how Travis does his brisket...

so.....you put it in a pan? with a beer? ok....guess ill try it......

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,074

I watched Rick Perry in the presidential primary debates and think "what the hell is uwrong with Texas?". I'm come on this forum: now I know.

I can't wait for Salado.

There's nothing wrong with Texas...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    Waste the shiner
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,793
    gratuitous brisket pic.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    ShortTravis is about to chow down.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    edited June 2013

gratuitous brisket pic.

They all say to Braise too. It's a match made in heaven if you ask me. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    ...and that folks, was how the Travis method was born.  Travis, for once in his life, followed directions and braised.

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,541
    I had to check in and see what all the Travis Brisket fuss was about.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·

...and that folks, was how the Travis method was born.  Travis, for once in his life, followed directions and braised.

=))
    ·
  • cazzy said:
    gratuitous brisket pic. image
    They all say to Braise too. It's a match made in heaven if you ask me. :P
    don't cook the small one!

·
    Little man will eat one of those... Covered in beets.
    ·
    I'm doing my first Travis Brisket tomorrow.  Ya'll have any tips for me?
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
    Jumped on the bandwagon with a 6 pounder from Costco. Cut it in half so we could have one spicy with Sirachai sauce and one not. Right now we're double-decking it on an AR indirect at 285F with some mesquite chunks. Used Coors Light, didn't want to waste good beer!
    image.jpg 2.1M
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
    One question from a brisket noob: At 205F IT do you pull the brisket? I think you slice. But I pull chucks at that temp, the pepper/beef/stout recipe works similar. Deep inside you get this "Who pulls a brisket ???". 
    ·

One question from a brisket noob: At 205F IT do you pull the brisket? I think you slice. But I pull chucks at that temp, the pepper/beef/stout recipe works similar. Deep inside you get this "Who pulls a brisket ???". 

Slice it! Pencil size slices against the grain.
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731
    If you do fat side down in the aluminum pan, couldn't you just take all the fat off of the bottom of the brisket?
    ·
    You want some fat, especially on the flat where the meat doesn't have much marbling.  But you could if you wanted to.

·
    Yeah, I figured if it was in the braising liquid...whats the point of having all that fat on it.  I could be wrong, but i wouldnt think much of it would render since its just chillin' in the liquid.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,030
    Yeah, I figured if it was in the braising liquid...whats the point of having all that fat on it.  I could be wrong, but i wouldnt think much of it would render since its just chillin' in the liquid.
    It may actually render better since liquid is a much more efficient transferrer of heat than air.
    ·
    I guess there wouldnt be any bark on the bottom..so i could always cut off any fat that didnt render after it was done cooking!

Im doing Travey's method modified..using different liquid(Dr. Pepper, and marinade mix)
    ·
    Help. I'm trying to buy the stuff for Travis brisket method. As far as marinades go they only have a kc masterpiece steakhouse marinade or a Moores hickory marinade. Which would you use?
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    I do not care for stuff on my briskets. Just me. I would think the Masterpiece would be pretty swett as most sweet of there stuff is. The Moores, I am not familiar with. You can always use plain 'ol beef broth ...... 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    Sorry,

I meant to say "sweet stuff"  My usual martinis are talking, I think.

I think the Travis Method is great, BTW>

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
    ·
    I ended up finding some info on another forum. It sounds like the moores is pretty good. It'll be diluted in dr. Pepper and onions per Travis method
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Moore's is basically the same as Dale's if your familiar with it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    @shtgunal3, I'm not familiar with dales. Is it good?
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I like Dales a lot but it does have ALOT of salt.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    Dales is basically concentrated soy sauce.  Adds MSG umami flavor and salt. 

Soy Sauce (Soy Protein Hydrolyzed, Water, Salt, Corn Syrup, Caramel) , Onion(s), Garlic, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Ginger, Paprika

·
    Thankfully Moores doesn't have MSG. It's salty though..would it be better to just have dr. Pepper and an onion in the pan? I was unable to find Allegra where I'm at
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,030
    MDB, do you have a Harris teeter nearby?

They carry it.
    ·