Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket..... How I do it.

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,252
    edited June 2013

cazzy said:

Mickey said:

cazzy said:

I just saw someone drinking shiner in a movie so I thought of this thread. :x

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    @henapple looks like he was just explained how Travis does his brisket...

so.....you put it in a pan? with a beer? ok....guess ill try it......

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,596

I watched Rick Perry in the presidential primary debates and think "what the hell is uwrong with Texas?". I'm come on this forum: now I know.

I can't wait for Salado.

There's nothing wrong with Texas...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    Waste the shiner
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    gratuitous brisket pic.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473
    ShortTravis is about to chow down.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    edited June 2013

gratuitous brisket pic.

They all say to Braise too. It's a match made in heaven if you ask me. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,962
    ...and that folks, was how the Travis method was born.  Travis, for once in his life, followed directions and braised.

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,720
    I had to check in and see what all the Travis Brisket fuss was about.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·

...and that folks, was how the Travis method was born.  Travis, for once in his life, followed directions and braised.

=))
    ·
  • cazzy said:
    gratuitous brisket pic. image
    They all say to Braise too. It's a match made in heaven if you ask me. :P
    don't cook the small one!

·
    Little man will eat one of those... Covered in beets.
    ·
    I'm doing my first Travis Brisket tomorrow.  Ya'll have any tips for me?
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    Jumped on the bandwagon with a 6 pounder from Costco. Cut it in half so we could have one spicy with Sirachai sauce and one not. Right now we're double-decking it on an AR indirect at 285F with some mesquite chunks. Used Coors Light, didn't want to waste good beer!
    image.jpg 2.1M
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    One question from a brisket noob: At 205F IT do you pull the brisket? I think you slice. But I pull chucks at that temp, the pepper/beef/stout recipe works similar. Deep inside you get this "Who pulls a brisket ???". 
    ·

One question from a brisket noob: At 205F IT do you pull the brisket? I think you slice. But I pull chucks at that temp, the pepper/beef/stout recipe works similar. Deep inside you get this "Who pulls a brisket ???". 

Slice it! Pencil size slices against the grain.
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,752
    If you do fat side down in the aluminum pan, couldn't you just take all the fat off of the bottom of the brisket?
    ·
    You want some fat, especially on the flat where the meat doesn't have much marbling.  But you could if you wanted to.

·
    Yeah, I figured if it was in the braising liquid...whats the point of having all that fat on it.  I could be wrong, but i wouldnt think much of it would render since its just chillin' in the liquid.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,424
    Yeah, I figured if it was in the braising liquid...whats the point of having all that fat on it.  I could be wrong, but i wouldnt think much of it would render since its just chillin' in the liquid.
    It may actually render better since liquid is a much more efficient transferrer of heat than air.
    ·
    I guess there wouldnt be any bark on the bottom..so i could always cut off any fat that didnt render after it was done cooking!

Im doing Travey's method modified..using different liquid(Dr. Pepper, and marinade mix)
    ·
    Help. I'm trying to buy the stuff for Travis brisket method. As far as marinades go they only have a kc masterpiece steakhouse marinade or a Moores hickory marinade. Which would you use?
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 423
    I do not care for stuff on my briskets. Just me. I would think the Masterpiece would be pretty swett as most sweet of there stuff is. The Moores, I am not familiar with. You can always use plain 'ol beef broth ...... 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 423
    Sorry,

I meant to say "sweet stuff"  My usual martinis are talking, I think.

I think the Travis Method is great, BTW>

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
    ·
    I ended up finding some info on another forum. It sounds like the moores is pretty good. It'll be diluted in dr. Pepper and onions per Travis method
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Moore's is basically the same as Dale's if your familiar with it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    @shtgunal3, I'm not familiar with dales. Is it good?
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I like Dales a lot but it does have ALOT of salt.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    Dales is basically concentrated soy sauce.  Adds MSG umami flavor and salt. 

Soy Sauce (Soy Protein Hydrolyzed, Water, Salt, Corn Syrup, Caramel) , Onion(s), Garlic, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Ginger, Paprika

·
    Thankfully Moores doesn't have MSG. It's salty though..would it be better to just have dr. Pepper and an onion in the pan? I was unable to find Allegra where I'm at
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,424
    MDB, do you have a Harris teeter nearby?

They carry it.
    ·