Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2013
    i want to see what happens here, wireless monitoring thermocouples and a brand we all know and trust.  i would be down when my maverick goes to the ghost which i am sure it will one of these days.  at that price though not much more you can get a stoker or a digiq wifi.

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    $199 is 5 mavericks ...
    Lynnwood WA
    ·

double said:
    $199 is 5 mavericks ...
    i know or 3 i grills.  where do you draw the line

·
    but also using that reasoning a thermapen is nearly 10 of these.

·
  • Q27Q27 Posts: 5
    Looks good but blue tooth just like the iGrill. Blue tooth will only go so far. I tried the Maverick and the iGrill. Great tools when in range but both have a disappointing distance. The Blue Therm Duo looks awesome but my guess is that it would still be limited by blue tooth.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,588
    It does look good but it is pretty pricey.  The problem I see with this is a maverick is pretty darn good at what it does.  If you are cooking a butt or brisket the you really don't need the probe to be super fast or super accurate.  A thermapen has a clear advantage over other instant read thermos; but I'm just not seeing the advantage of this unit over a maverick or igrill to justify it being 3-5 times the cost.  My $.02. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The probe is the weakest part of the system??  What is the rating?
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 420
    I am tempted by the Duo since I love the ability of remote monitoring. However, I have calibrated my Maverick (it shows to be 2* low) and it has the remote feature AND it is still working like a charm. I put some RTV silicone on the probe connections and, thus, no problems so far with the probes. So... until the Maverick gives up the ghost, I will stay with it. At such time, I will more seriously consider the Duo.

I do have the Thermopenan and the IR Industrial Thermometer from ThermoWorks. They are top of the line, of course. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,300
    My maverick is poo-poo. Despite recalibration, it is 200 degrees off at times for the cooker and 50 degrees for the food. I pretty sure it is just the crap probes that they use. I'm considering this bad boy for the simple fact that it uses thermocouples. It does make me consider just moving up to a pit controller, though.
    ·
  • I'll buy this as soon as my 5 th set of maverick probes die. This looks awesome to me. Commercial probes and you know TW will stand behind them. Hopefully I'm done buying thermos. Of course for another Hundo you could get digi q wifi.....might just go that route.

·
  • MJGMJG Posts: 213
    I looked at this last night and it was over 200. First issue with the Maverick and I am on this.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
    ·