Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Savanah GA...what to do there or near there

My brother is headed to Savanah for his kids gymnastics tournament.  What are some good things to do while there??  Any great BBQ joints he should hit??

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The stricklands are from there. Go crabbing or fishing. Charter a boat to one of the uninhabited islands. I found giant whale vertebrae many years ago. Whatever you do, do it on one of the saltwater rivers.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2013
    Friend of mine lives there. I asked that question awhile back when someone else wanted to know...

In the Historic District - 
    Angel's BBQ - http://angels-bbq.com
    Little hole in the wall in an alley. Their ad says "If you can't find us - call - we'll talk you in". Hardly any seating, but the Q is great.

Bit outside toward Tybee Island - http://www.wileyschampionshipbbq.com
    Heard a couple of BBQ contest judges say they highly approved. Their "Better Than Sex" sauce is excellent. But then, it would be wouldn't it?  :laugh:  

South side of town - Smoke Station BBQ

If he wants discount tickets for trolleys and attractions (no clue what any of those are), have him see the concierge at the Riverfront Marriott. Nice lady, hair looks like Paula Deen's, but no fake teeth.  :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• We ALWAYS eat lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House at least once. Their meat and vegetables are delicious! You will have to get there a little early and wait in line, but it is not near as bad as Paula Deen's restaurant (although, with the racial slur stuff, that one may be a ghost town now??). Spanky's on River St has delicious chicken fingers. Also, taking a ghost tour is always fun. 
    Supposedly there is a good BBQ joint, although I can't remember the name. I haven't eaten there because I can get good BBQ around here. I'm looking for other stuff in Savanah
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    AJ's Dockside on Tybee Island, about 20 minutes out of Savannah, great seafood. Zunzi's Sandwich shop "The Conquistador sandwich" was voted best sandwich in America. River Street is the big thing but there is tons of stuff to do. Tell him to take the Trolley tours around the city. Stay away from Paula Deans place
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
     Stay away from Paula Deans place

I'd rather cook on a gasser for a year than to go back to that gag bag.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    rontho said:

Stay away from Paula Deans place

I'd rather cook on a gasser for a year than to go back to that gag bag.

Who is Paula Dean? The only Paula Dean I know is my butter tray--- nicknamed in 2009
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    1.5 hours south on St Simons Is is Southern Soul Barbecue the best Cue in the area. Vandy's in Statesboro is great also. Sorry cannot help much for Cue in Savannah.
  • Savannah is one of my favorite places on the planet. I'll second AJ's Dockside on Tybee Island. It's a little hole in the wall joint, but it's a great place for lunch. There are lots of good restaurants in the heart of Savannah. The kids might get a kick out of The Pirate's House. It's in a colonial era building, and has lots of pirate decor. One of our favorites is Vinnie Van Go Go's pizza. It's a fun place to hang out and people watch, and the pizza is great. Sorry, can't help you with BBQ.
  • Bobbareeno
    Bobbareeno Posts: 40
    I will second Vinnie Van Go Go's and Southern Soul BBQ on St Simons. I think Vinnies is cash only so be prepared for that there. Savannah is a great town, hope your brother has a great time there, Bob
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
     Mrs. Wilkes boarding house for sure, check it out on the Internet  Get there early you will be standing lin line
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

My wife's mother's family are Savannah natives.  Her uncle was the Grand Marshall of the St Patty's day parade a few years back.  Been going there every year for a family reunion since Hector was a pup and now he is a full grown dog. In town - Vinnies is great for Pizza as mentioned.  I would stay away from the Pirates House unless the kids want to go there - The food isn't so good.  If you want the best and I mean best que in town, you should go to Johnny Harris just outside of town. You should also go to Leopolds Ice Cream on Broughton street.  Stratton is a movie producer and it is fun for the kids. Alligator Soul is good and is a bit pricey.  I haven't been there since it recently changed ownership but hear it is still good. On the river - We like the Cobblestone café for breakfast. You must get some great peanuts from the Peanut Factory on the river - Sample to you heart's content.  The Shrimp Factory is pretty good as well. The Olympia Café is great if you like Greek food. If you venture to Tybee, I agree that AJ's is the best.  There is also Stingrays on 17th st.

Other Stuff - If you go to Tybee you may want to see Ft Pulaski on the way.  In town, definitely do the trolley and you could do a ghost tour as Savannah is the most haunted city in America.  Beware - Bunch of ghosts in Bonaventure Cemetery. The Juliet Gordon Lowe house is downtown as well - She was the founder of the Girl Scouts if that is appropriate.

Great city - Hope they have fun!

Milton, GA.
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    thanks for all the good info everyone!!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Oops.  Forgot the Breakfast Club in Tybee.  Dynamite and the best grits in the South.  Have to go there for breakfast if you can get in. 
    Milton, GA.