Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top of my dome looks strange

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Last night I did some pizzas in the egg for some friends and tonight I was getting started to grill some chicken breast and when I opened the egg this is what the top of the dome looks like. Was is the hot temps from the pizza last night or is this just normal?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Just light a fire and have some beverages and check it in an hour or two. You should be fine
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • h3bmr
    h3bmr Posts: 16
    @chubbs. Thanks it sure hasn't stopped me from cooking or drinking!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The high temp from pizza starts ashing all the fat and grease and that starts flaking off.  It's not fully ashed...you could do a clean burn...just take your thermo out and you only need to go to 750, not 1100.  That will ash the rest of the fat.  You want to knock that scale off so it doesn't fall into your food.

The high temp from pizza starts ashing all the fat and grease and that starts flaking off.  It's not fully ashed...you could do a clean burn...just take your thermo out and you only need to go to 750, not 1100.  That will ash the rest of the fat.  You want to knock that scale off so it doesn't fall into your food.

Thanks so muck
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nola is a scientist. Listen to him :ar!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I have the same problem. Mine was like paint pealing off. I sent photos of it to the mothership and they said it was normal. It is build up from a lot of low and slow cooks. Get some alum foil crumpled into a ball and scrape the area to knock it off, or do a clean burn.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have the same problem. Mine was like paint pealing off. I sent photos of it to the mothership and they said it was normal. It is build up from a lot of low and slow cooks. Get some alum foil crumpled into a ball and scrape the area to knock it off, or do a clean burn.
    That works too.