Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Steel Maiden Voyage

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Decided to bust her out and see what all the fuss was about.  @Mighty_Quinn sold me on Baking Steel Burgers, so that's what I decided to break her in with.  Very impressed!  I think i'm moving this eggccessory into my top 5.   ;) 

Nice crust if I must say so myself!   B-) 

=P~

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Good lord, sir. Is that an egg?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cool! 

I heard a loud crash this morning then got a text....a buddy of mine dropped off a 1/4" thick 16" diameter chunk of sheet steel he cut out for me. 

How thick is yours?  Do you think 1/4" will hold enough heat?

Good lord, sir. Is that an egg?

Yes sir!!
  • cazzy

Cool! 

I heard a loud crash this morning then got a text....a buddy of mine dropped off a 1/4" thick 16" diameter chunk of sheet steel he cut out for me. 

How thick is yours?  Do you think 1/4" will hold enough heat?

Mine are the same dimensions that your buddy dropped off for you! :)

Oh yeah, 1/4" should be perfect. I talked to Andris at Baking Steel and said he uses a 1/4" for everything. Been using the same one for a year and never had an issue. The 1/4" is already heavy enough IMO too.
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks Cazzy.   I need grind off the paint and clean up the plasma slag.  I'll post a pic when I get it in usable shape.
  • cazzy

dude.....that is a sick burger. Juicy lucy with fried egg? Is that what I'm seeing here? outstanding.

Yes sir! That burger lasted like 90 secs. I told my wife "that was good". She looked over and was shocked it was already gone. LOL
  • nolaegghead
    That burger looks awesome!  Can you believe I've never had a juicy lucy? 

Here's the baking steel....I'm sanding and grinding all the crap off it right now.  Moonshine grappa in a Georgian water bottle.

That burger looks awesome!  Can you believe I've never had a juicy lucy? 

Here's the baking steel....I'm sanding and grinding all the crap off it right now.  Moonshine grappa in a Georgian water bottle.

thanks!  Man, that's coming along great and was likely a fraction of the cost.  
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Leftover nom noms.

BTW, go HERE and vote for cazzy.  Scroll past that healthy crap and vote for something that will clog your arteries!   :D
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    I love a ROYAL burger!  I put fried eggs on mine all the time.  INSPIRATIONAL!  Well played, sir. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Eggucator said:
    I love a ROYAL burger!  I put fried eggs on mine all the time.  INSPIRATIONAL!  Well played, sir. 
    We call it Making it Dirty round my parts.  

Now, please go and vote for me, but don't vote for @nolaegghead   :P
  • nolaegghead
    cazzy said:
    Eggucator said:
    We call it Making it Dirty round my parts.  

Now, please go and vote for me, but don't vote for @nolaegghead   :P
    @Cazzy Sir, now I'm not sure if I should tell you you'll lose votes unless you change the end of that URL from #latest to /p3....
    :))
    ...that's because when it gets to p10, people will go to p10...
    ...that's because when it gets to p10, people will go to p10...
    Well played sir.  You're a honest competitor...much different than your Saints!    8-}
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @cazzy did you have any trouble with grease from the burgers dripping off of the steel on to the fire? Or did it just cook like a flat top?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cazzy
    @cazzy did you have any trouble with grease from the burgers dripping off of the steel on to the fire? Or did it just cook like a flat top?
    No problem at all, cooked just like a flat top.  Cleaning this thing ain't fun after burgers tho, but it was definitely worth it.  
  • nolaegghead
    Looks like it was seasoned.  Unfortunately seasoning ashes off over 700F.  The stuff should just scrape off....try a paint scraper.  Doesn't have to look pretty.

Looks like it was seasoned.  Unfortunately seasoning ashes off over 700F.  The stuff should just scrape off....try a paint scraper.  Doesn't have to look pretty.

Definitely picking up a paint scraper! Thanks!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    OK, Cazzy - what's the difference between a steel and using a cast iron skillet?
    I've often finished burgers and steaks in CI - usually to add some blackening. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    OK, Cazzy - what's the difference between a steel and using a cast iron skillet?
    I've often finished burgers and steaks in CI - usually to add some blackening. Thanks!
    Probably not much outside of the baking steel being a flat top and possibly having more surface area.  They both retain heat very well, but i'm sure @nolaegghead could explain which one retains heat better.  
  • nolaegghead
    I can try...I've looked into the physical properties of cast iron versus steel in the past. Steel transfers heat better than cast iron.  One of the reasons Chinese chefs prefer the carbon steel woks versus cast iron.  They heat up fast, cool down fast, less hot spots (for the same thickness).  You want to heat a cast iron pan up in the oven.  With a 1/4 thick baking steel, it'll heat up fine on a range burner and after a couple of minutes the temp will be pretty even.  And versus a baking stone, much much faster.  The steel will transfer a lot of heat very fast into a burger or pizza.  And cool down faster.  Just a different property.  Much better for range grilling than cast iron.
    Uh-huh, but we are cooking on an egg which has the heat retention of a blast furnace, n'est pas? Threw in the Acadian for you. 
    I think Cazzy has it right, more surface area although in my case I use a 14" CI griddle with a busted handle on the MBGE so area is about maximized. I'm sure if I brought home one more pan, flat top, rack, shelf, support, fire brick, skillet to use on the egg, SWMBO would be a widow. Thanks guys. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Here's a good analogy, I think. 

Take some 1/2" diameter rods, 12" long made in steel, cast iron, ceramic and glass.

For each of them, hold one end and put the other end on a propane torch. 

The glass rod can be held all day.  The heat only travels a few inches.

The ceramic rod, more heat transfer, takes a while before you can't hold it.

The cast iron, much faster than ceramic.

The steel rod even faster, you will drop that hot potato.

Take some 1/2" diameter rods, 12" long made in steel, cast iron, ceramic and glass.

You're such a  :-B
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522

So don't use steel rods for campfire marshmallow roasts, but even though glass is more comfortable, you might have to watch for splinters, 'cause it is quite fragile. 
  • nolaegghead

Uh-huh, but we are cooking on an egg which has the heat retention of a blast furnace, n'est pas? Threw in the Acadian for you. 
    I think Cazzy has it right, more surface area although in my case I use a 14" CI griddle with a busted handle on the MBGE so area is about maximized. I'm sure if I brought home one more pan, flat top, rack, shelf, support, fire brick, skillet to use on the egg, SWMBO would be a widow. Thanks guys. 
    hahah  Yeah, you right.

The steel actually has more advantages on a range...the egg is like an oven where stuff gets heated evenly.  Where the CI heats well, the steel does too.. 

Or you can just cook your burgers on the damn grid like most other folks!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Just kidding, I did some cast iron burgers on the egg the other day and they were quite tasty,

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    I cooked some cast iron burgers once, broke three teeth.  :((