Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Injection

First - a quick story. Lately, my neighbors have gotten into the habit of stopping over as soon as they hear the cover come off the Egg or smell any food on it. Gotta love the Egg!

Anyways, after my neighbor stopped by yesterday from the scenario above I agreed to make a pork shoulder on Sunday to share. 

Thinking of using Big Bob Gibson's injection w/ Dizzy Dust. Big bob gibson's injection recipe below - have never tried it. What do you all inject with (if you do)?

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

Comments

• phoenix007
    phoenix007 Posts: 49
    By the way - got this recipe from "Peace, Love and Barbecue" by Mike Mills. Awesome book.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I used Myron Mixon's Hog Injection from his Book "Smokin with Myron Mixon"
    Hog Injection
    4 Quarts Apple Juice
    1 Quart Distilled White Vinegar
    5 Pounds Sugar
    2 Cups Salt
    1 Cup Monosodium Glutamate such as Ac'cent.

In a large stockpot, combine the apple juice and vinegar over medium heat. Stirring continuously, pour in sugar, salt and monosodium glutamate. Stir until seasonings ar completely dissolved. Do not boil. Remove from eat. If reserving for later use, let the liquid cool; then pour it into a large bottle or container. Store refrigerated for up to 1 year.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Mono sodium what? What can I use in its place?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos