Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Surf IN Turf - Ahi Tuna and Cold Smoked Salmon wrapped in Prosciutto Rolade - large pics

Surf IN Turf - Sorry, this page will load slow.

Took some Prosciutto, layered with cold smoked salmon, then ahi tuna.  Added salt, some cucumber, green onions, sesame seeds and Japanese 7-spice.  sprinkled with a binder (thanks CT!), rolled it up and vacu-sucked it, let it rest overnight.  Then cut off a chunk, coated with sesame oil and seared at 500-ish for a few minutes.  Cut it up and ate it. It was really good.  The kitten was in my face (shouldn't have given him a taste.

SWMBO is working all weekend, so just cooked one to try out for a late lunch.

The sauces are soy, ponzu and oyster, chili-garlic, wasabi.

Wanted to do something different. Thanks for looking.   -nola

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

·

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 7,131
    edited June 2013
    Holy $h!t WOW!! =D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,518
    Fantastic
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 801
    No pressure here! I double what the other posters said, this looks Great!
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,746
    You're my hero. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,806
    You're my hero. 
    Thanks man.  I would have included my drink pairing...but a coozie of Coke zero loaded with a lethal amount of Evan Williams didn't look too sexy.

·
  • wbradkingwbradking Posts: 157
    That should go in the Stuffed Throwdown.
    Franklin, TN Large BGE
    ·
  • wbradkingwbradking Posts: 157
    Oops...you beat me to it.
    Franklin, TN Large BGE
    ·
    wbradking said:
    That should go in the Stuffed Throwdown.
    Thanks, I put it in there (that was the main reason I did it). :D

·
  • oh hell yes. That is my kind of cook (outside 14lb chunks of cow parts) I guess that would qualify as stuffed for the Throwdown ^:)^ That is awesome!!!!! How did you like the "binder"? Cool stuff huh?

·

oh hell yes. That is my kind of cook (outside 14lb chunks of cow parts) I guess that would qualify as stuffed for the Throwdown ^:)^ That is awesome!!!!! How did you like the "binder"? Cool stuff huh?
    That stuff is off the handle!  I was reading up on it, and it basically glues anything together with amino acids - protein - in it.  So you can use it to make everything from veggie burgers to Franken-food.  I was going to plant some pegs in the side like Frankenstein, but I already have about 3 hours and $40 bucks invested in this (but lots of leftover salmon and prosciutto!).  There's absolutely no added taste with that stuff...fish tasted fresh, and the smoked salmon and ham worked.  I was a little worried, but then again, for LS's throwdown, it doesn't matter if it tastes good or not.

·
    The Black Keys, Evan, and some hog on the log........ Heaven on earth. 
    ·
    meow meow meow

·

• oh hell yes. That is my kind of cook (outside 14lb chunks of cow parts) I guess that would qualify as stuffed for the Throwdown ^:)^ That is awesome!!!!! How did you like the "binder"? Cool stuff huh?
    That stuff is off the handle!  I was reading up on it, and it basically glues anything together with amino acids - protein - in it.  So you can use it to make everything from veggie burgers to Franken-food.  I was going to plant some pegs in the side like Frankenstein, but I already have about 3 hours and $40 bucks invested in this (but lots of leftover salmon and prosciutto!).  There's absolutely no added taste with that stuff...fish tasted fresh, and the smoked salmon and ham worked.  I was a little worried, but then again, for LS's throwdown, it doesn't matter if it tastes good or not.

Yep- it's the secret ingredient for stuff like you just did. And you can slice it razor thin and the prosciutto will stay on. That's the downfall with toothpicks. When you slice, it all falls apart. with the secret meat love, it all magically stays together. I'm glad you made something cool with it. I'm all fired up now to do something weird.

·
    I'm pissed I was too incoherent to get my share. I blame the wife lady for hurrying me.
    ·
    edited June 2013
    I'm pissed I was too incoherent to get my share. I blame the wife lady for hurrying me.
    @travisstrick I've got a whole DP shaker full of it, I'll send you some.  PM me your mailing address.  Little bit goes a long way.

I was going to originally glue sea scallops together with duck breast and wrap the whole thing in bacon, then sous vide and sear (I figured sea scallops and duck breast are both done at 130-ish and it would be a weird twist on surf n turf.)

·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 593
    Wow! Nola, you are the bomb. Looks like a good entry for the stuffed throw down!
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,766
    Man, that cook looks beautiful!! 

What is this binder stuff?
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • Man, that cook looks beautiful!! 

Man, that cook looks beautiful!! 

Meat Glue (Transglutaminase): http://www.modernistpantry.com/activa-rm-transglutaminase.html?kw={keyword}&gclid=CKrpqYna-LcCFVNo7AodrnUA7Q

·
  • it bonds any protein to any other protein. it's a naturally occurring enzyme that is in plants, animals and bacteria. You eat it all the time (deli meat, sausage, chicken nuggets etc). It's widely used commercially for many reasons but it's really cool to do high end food preps with too.

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,766
    thanks. gotta look into that!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,296
    edited June 2013
    Help me out fellow forum peeps...I want some of little steven's la Bomba hot antipasto spread....so go here and vote "like" - scroll down, first big pics.  you'll know it when ya see it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153460/next-throwdown-get-stuffed/p3

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,025
    edited June 2013
    If Village Idiot was not in locked down rehab I would love to see his thoughts. You are so much more than a pretty face.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 431
    Wow!!, ^:)^ We are truly not worthy ....
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
    Mickey said:
    If Village Idiot was not in locked down rehab I would love to see his thoughts. You are so much more than a pretty face.
    I'll never plate like him.  I tried making a radish flower garnish but completely screwed it up.

·
  • FurallFurall Posts: 103
    I hit the like for ya. That is a remarkable cook and the presentation is perfect.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,131
    Help me out fellow forum peeps...I want some of little steven's la Bomba hot antipasto spread....so go here and vote "like" - scroll down, first big pics.  you'll know it when ya see it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153460/next-throwdown-get-stuffed/p3
    Damn, I may have to start campaigning.  Jerkface.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,888
    I thought this was a BBQ forum  :-\"

Ha just kidding that

ROCKS CRAZY AWESOME MAN!!!!   
    :-c

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
    I thought this was a BBQ forum  :-\"

Ha just kidding that

ROCKS CRAZY AWESOME MAN!!!!   
    :-c
    The actual egg time was about 3 minutes....  BBQ! 
    :D

·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,276
    Wow- three of my favorite things. Not much else to say- looks fantastic
    Greensboro, NC
    ·