Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowcountry Boil, Steaks, Wings and Fettuccine Alfredo w/Blackened Chicken (pix)

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054

It's been one of those crazy busy work weeks that has kept me away from the forum (and Egg) for the most part.  Just wanted to check in with you guys to letcha know I'm still kickin'..;)  Missed you guys and gals.  :)

The first pic is a little off topic, but my Dad requested it for Father's Day.  It's called by a few names, but I like to call it "Lowcountry Boil," because that's what I've always called it.  It's also referred to as "Shrimp Boil" or "Frogmore Stew."  It's believed around here that this dish originated in the Frogmore Community of St. Helena Island in Beaufort County, SC.  It wasn't made on the BGE, but I at least boiled it up in a turkey cooker in my Dad's back yard.  It was definitely some good eats and a crowd pleaser.  It included Red Potatoes, fresh Corn on the Cob, Rogerwood Sausage and Shrimp.  I also threw in 2.5 pounds of Snow Crab Clusters for a special treat. 

Then the next day, my wife was craving steak, so I threw a couple Baked Taters in the oven and grilled up a couple Strip Steaks on the BGE.  I threw in some Jack Daniel's Whisky Barrel Oak Chips for a blast of smoke flavor.

Then tonight, my wife and I whipped up some Blackened Chicken along with some Fettuccine Alfredo.  My wife makes one killer Alfredo sauce.  It's some sort of Pinterest knockoff recipe of Olive Garden's Alfredo Sauce.  It is so, so good.  :)

Then I thought I'd throw in these wing pix from last week.  I forgot I had uploaded them.  They were sauced with an after-sauce of Ranch Dressing and Crystal's Wing Sauce.

The wings finished before the Sweet Tater Fries, so we ate those later.  :)  We like the frozen Alexia Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries.  They are a simple side dish and they are very good.  We like adding some freshly grated Parmesan Cheese during the last coupla minutes in the oven.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!  :)

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks damn good man!
    Options
    Dammit!!! Didn't cook squat tonight. All good looking cooks!

And nice pictures BTW
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    hapster said:
    Dammit!!! Didn't cook squat tonight. All good looking cooks! And nice pictures BTW
    me either.....  :((
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I miss home now... I love that frogmore stew!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Damn Dyal I was about ask about you. Glad your back. Nice cooks.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I have to try that blackened chicken - what grill level is that?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wow!  Way to come in and remind us what it is all about ;).  Nice work man...good ta see ya! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Comeback with guns blazing man. Nice cooks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Home run!!!
    Seattle, WA
  • Slobberdog
    Slobberdog Posts: 54
    Options
    Nice! What do you season the water with for your boil and how long to cook?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Being a Beaufort boy, I call it Frogmore Stew. Wife calls it Lowcountry Boil. Regardless looks dayum good. I like the crab cluster addition.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    edited June 2013
    Options

Thanks a lot, y'all!  @Eggcelsior, you need to get your butt back to SC where you belong.  ;)  @Charlie_tuna, that was cooked at the standard level.  I only had a couple handfuls of previously burned coals left, so I was trying to use those up instead of having to wait on new coals to start up.  So I have no idea what temp I used.  LOL  Just had it wide open the whole time.

@Slobberdog, here's how I always make it:  I use the turkey cooker along with a big slotted seafood basket.  Then I add somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the pot with water.  Bring that to a boil and add a couple packets of Zattarain's Crab Boil Seasoning, a good amount of Old Bay Lemon and Herb Seasoning and 4 lemon halves.  Slice some Petite Red Potatoes in half and boil those for 8 minutes.  Next, add your Sausage and Corn on the Cob and continue boiling for 10 minutes.  Then, if you're using Crab Clusters, thrown those in and continue boiling for 5 minutes.  Next, add your shrimp and boil for another 3 minutes.  Finally, be very careful and lift your slotted basket of goodness out of the water and dump the Lowcountry Boil in a large pan on the center of your table.  Everyone can then sit around and pick at it family-style.  You can season it to your liking as you eat.  And BTW, there aren't many things that smell as good as a big pot of Lowcountry Boil cooking up in your backyard.  The aroma is amazing. 

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    Options
    Looks fantastic. We also call it Beaufort Stew.  I've had it many times at the Steamer on Lady's Island in Beaufort. Not being able to cook a Frogmore Stew on the BGE is about the only reason the egg is not perfect.  But then again, I bet someone has done one on the egg.
    Columbia, SC

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Down here in South Louisiana, we call dat a crawfish boil.
    Options
    Heeeee's back!! I too was beginning to get concerned about your whereabouts. I was about to send out inquiries on your behalf. You certainly know how to make a great re-entry. Everything looks wonderful!

I love those Jack Daniels oak chips myself. The smoke coming out of the egg smells so nice when you use them. I just did my first LOL on the BGE and I used those to smoke the lamb. It was out of this world. You did yourself proud with this post. I am glad all it was was you were too busy to post.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.