Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not for everyone...

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited June 2013 in Off Topic
I'm pretty flipping stoked about this coming November!   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D

I'm a big kid so i'm super excited about the future of console gaming!   =P~
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Damn cazzy, you don't F around.  These are getting hooked up to your system with the Klipsch?
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Damn cazzy, you don't F around.  These are getting hooked up to your system with the Klipsch?
    Damn straight they are!  I can't wait man...just not sure which i'm looking forward to more.

Thankfully, Sony isn't using a proprietary processor this time, so developers will be able to take advantage of the PS4's processing power.  They really struggled to do that with the PS3.   The GDDR5 don't hurt either and i'm not sure why Microsoft is going with DDR3.  

I do like all the multimedia functions of the One though.  Very fluid!  Also, online play is much better on Xbox Live.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Don't mean to spam your thread, but it's a trade-off:

A developer's view
    We asked an experienced games coder about the differences between Xbox One and PS4's approach to system memory. He has asked to remain anonymous, but this is what he wrote...

"Memory-wise there are really deep areas you can get into on how Sony has optimised certain paths to access the RAM. Microsoft will hopefully be doing similar stuff to that, I imagine – we're only disclosed on PS4 so I don't know for sure, they're not dumb though.

"Regarding the RAM type, however, GDDR5 equals 176gb/sec, DDR3 equals 68gb/sec – I don't know the exact numbers for the Xbox One RAM but it'll be around that. GDDR5 is slightly higher latency, which means the time between requesting a piece of data and getting it to the CPU/GPU to work with can be slightly longer than with DDR3. This latency can be hidden by well-written code on CPU and normally is hidden well by GPUs due to how their pipelines work (which is why GDDR is normally found on GPU's).

"Ultimately though, that 2.5x faster bandwidth number means that a larger amount of data can be taken from RAM, processed by the CPU (or more importantly on these new architectures, the Compute Units on the GPU) and spat back out to RAM to either process again or render. At the end of the day, everything in games comes down to: 'grab information'; 'transform that data somehow'; 'spit it back out' – so being faster at this is a very good thing.

"Microsoft is winning bandwidth back for the GPU through the 32MB ESRAM (102gb/sec I believe, and assuming you're using this RAM a lot, it means that the total Microsoft bandwidth is 168gb/sec); this will even things back out a bit but require a bit of extra management by developers and it is only 32MB which limits the amount of uses.

"This kind of architecture with faster RAM for the GPU to use for framebuffers (the block of data storing the image being rendererd out or nowadays temporary graphic buffers storing lighting/material information) is something developers are used to working with, but it's more complex than the approach needed on the PS4."

Options
    dang this some nerdy stuff.  i'm jealous my wife wouldn't let me get a chewbacca backpack at disneyland a couple of weeks ago, i don't know how I could pull this off. 

• cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Good information! Not spam at all...thanks for sharing!

Do you game at all? PC of console?
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Options
    U_tarded said:

dang this some nerdy stuff.  i'm jealous my wife wouldn't let me get a chewbacca backpack at disneyland a couple of weeks ago, i don't know how I could pull this off. 

I have a strategy that has worked pretty well. This is pitched as my Christmas/Birthday Present so it was easy. In the end, she knew I would get them both. When the premier came out, she said "how much is that going to cost us". Lol

Back to the strategy. When I get a lil swipe happy, I buy her a new toy too. Recently, I just bought a new lens...so I picked her up a Asus Ultrabook and she didn't bat a eye. LOL

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    so what your saying is wait until the fall line of coach/michael khors purses comes out and just drop the receipts in those.  she will never notice, i knew i liked you guys for a reason.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Good information! Not spam at all...thanks for sharing! Do you game at all? PC of console?
    Not a huge gamer, spend probably a few hours a week gaming, but we have a few consoles.  I'm a huge gear-head, techno-geek, gadget freak.  Computers all over the place.  I already don't get enough sleep!
    edited June 2013
    Options

cazzy said:

Good information! Not spam at all...thanks for sharing!

Do you game at all? PC of console?

Not a huge gamer, spend probably a few hours a week gaming, but we have a few consoles.  I'm a huge gear-head, techno-geek, gadget freak.  Computers all over the place.  I already don't get enough sleep!

Our households are very similar...outside of your garage. :(

We're all very technical here. I can definitely see my daughter following in dad's footsteps and finding a home in IT.

My lil dude is crazy smart though and it's just amazing to imagine how technically brilliant he might be in 20+ years. Generation Z as they say. While its just iOS, he was unlocking iPhones, navigating through pages, finding his folder, and playing his games at 18 months. Some are proud for other things, but that was a that's my boy moment. :D
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You're lucky - your kid is on the right track.  So many kids now days don't want to know how computers work, they just want to use facebook, text and surf.  The job market is getting so technical, and I see kids coming out of college that are, IMO, clueless with software and figuring out how it works (networking, diagnosing basic problems, etc.).  Sounds like he'll be following in dad's footsteps :D
    Options

You're lucky - your kid is on the right track.  So many kids now days don't want to know how computers work, they just want to use facebook, text and surf.  The job market is getting so technical, and I see kids coming out of college that are, IMO, clueless with software and figuring out how it works (networking, diagnosing basic problems, etc.).  Sounds like he'll be following in dad's footsteps :D

One of my favorite things to do before I got into IT and pretty much how I got into IT, was to play with software. Learn it, explore, and pretty much break it. After several calls to remedy issues some developers didn't even know were present, I was offered a opportunity to manage one of the aforementioned programs.

Fun stuff! It's just my need to be independent and having to call someone for support is non-productive. I always aim to be a super user!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wow- congrats man!  I will probably get one or the other once they hit.  I haven't picked a side yet.  I have a 360 and a PS3 now and I use the PS3 far more; but that is mainly because I have the old school fat 360.  It was the model that could double as a space heater.   I might wait for your unbiased review ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Xbox is out in my book. I'll never buy any product that attempts to control my choices like that.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Options

Wow- congrats man!  I will probably get one or the other once they hit.  I haven't picked a side yet.  I have a 360 and a PS3 now and I use the PS3 far more; but that is mainly because I have the old school fat 360.  It was the model that could double as a space heater.   I might wait for your unbiased review ;)

I use my 360 more because of Xbox Live and because I hate buying games that I'll only play once. ;)

For sure! I honestly am looking forward to both consoles equally.
  • cazzy
    Options

Xbox is out in my book. I'll never buy any product that attempts to control my choices like that.

I hear ya there, but you're basically saying Xbox is our government. Lol

Really though, after PS4 slapped them upside the head at E3, they're loosening up the reins quite a bit. They're changing their strategy on several stances that pissed a ton of people off.

Read this: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
  • travisstrick
    Options
    when I think of Xbox, I think of.......... That president that no one likes. 
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    Don't worry my friend you are not the only one. I will be recieving a ps4 the first day of distribution. Super excited.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Mkline said:

Don't worry my friend you are not the only one. I will be recieving a ps4 the first day of distribution. Super excited.

I'm too old to camp, so I pre-order everything now! Sony has been pretty smart thus far. It appears they're going to hit the market first too...which would be another big win for them.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My kids are killing the xbox1. They say none of their friends will buy one because of all the privacy/control issues. It's like a dinner topic at our house. I've never seen them so fired up about something.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    Options
    The army guys won't buy Xbox either. When we go all over the world, there usually isn't any net to connect to.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options

They backtracked on most of the annoying DRM stuff.

• cazzy
    Options

My kids are killing the xbox1. They say none of their friends will buy one because of all the privacy/control issues. It's like a dinner topic at our house. I've never seen them so fired up about something.

Yeah, they're taking a big hit in sever communities. Initially, you couldn't lend games to friends, sell games, buy used games, and couldn't even play games offline for more than 24 hours. They pissed so many people off, they back tracked on everything and are going away from the cloud gaming concept. It will be similar to the Xbox 360 where you can upload the game to your HD (and authenticate at startup) or play off the disc. They had to do it! Make sure they read the article above.
  • cazzy
    Options

The army guys won't buy Xbox either. When we go all over the world, there usually isn't any net to connect to.

You apparently only need Internet for the initial set-up now. They killed the needs to always be connected strategy.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Yeah, they're taking a big hit in sever communities. Initially, you couldn't lend games to friends, sell games, buy used games, and couldn't even play games offline for more than 24 hours. They pissed so many people off, they back tracked on everything and are going away from the cloud gaming concept. It will be similar to the Xbox 360 where you can upload the game to your HD (and authenticate at startup) or play off the disc. They had to do it! Make sure they read the article above.

I think they are so mad at what they wanted to do that they have totally lost trust in Microsoft. All those things are still integrated into the system. Just a switch away from being implemented. My kids think that they are only backing off to sell consoles and once people are stuck, they will start tightening the noose. It's obvious where this is headed. Just a matter of when and how much.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    I am a PS3 hardcore user - all my close friends are also signing up to pre-order the PS4. For some reason they are saying it won't be available in Canada prior to Dec 31st!
    Since I live close enough to the border, will probably just pre-order in US and drive down to pick it up.
    *bloody inconvenient*
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

I think they are so mad at what they wanted to do that they have totally lost trust in Microsoft. All those things are still integrated into the system. Just a switch away from being implemented. My kids think that they are only backing off to sell consoles and once people are stuck, they will start tightening the noose. It's obvious where this is headed. Just a matter of when and how much.

I like the way your kids think and love that they have opinions about it. It's also cool to hear what the youth is thinking about all this.

I love Xbox Live and all of the media features, so that alone was a selling point for me.

I've been a Sony fan boy for 20 years, so I love seeing PS find success in the US again.

The original PS didn't have comp and the PS2 blew Xbox out the water, since they had soooo many great games. Xbox 360 killed PS3 in the US, but I blame that on the finicky processor in the the PS3.

I honestly loved the 360 for its hackability. My 360 has two NANDS so I get the best of both worlds!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

I like the way your kids think and love that they have opinions about it. It's also cool to hear what the youth is thinking about all this. I love Xbox Live and all of the media features, so that alone was a selling point for me. I've been a Sony fan boy for 20 years, so I love seeing PS find success in the US again. The original PS didn't have comp and the PS2 blew Xbox out the water, since they had soooo many great games. Xbox 360 killed PS3 in the US, but I blame that on the finicky processor in the the PS3. I honestly loved the 360 for its hackability. My 360 has two NANDS so I get the best of both worlds!

It is cool. They are really passionate about it. I love it. There is a huge and coming backlash toward privacy. They all hate Facebook and they are hyper vigilant about people trying to steal their privacy and companies who don't honor their unwritten honor codes. Kinda cool to watch.
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

cazzy said:

I like the way your kids think and love that they have opinions about it. It's also cool to hear what the youth is thinking about all this.

I love Xbox Live and all of the media features, so that alone was a selling point for me.

I've been a Sony fan boy for 20 years, so I love seeing PS find success in the US again.

The original PS didn't have comp and the PS2 blew Xbox out the water, since they had soooo many great games. Xbox 360 killed PS3 in the US, but I blame that on the finicky processor in the the PS3.

I honestly loved the 360 for its hackability. My 360 has two NANDS so I get the best of both worlds!

It is cool. They are really passionate about it. I love it. There is a huge and coming backlash toward privacy. They all hate Facebook and they are hyper vigilant about people trying to steal their privacy and companies who don't honor their unwritten honor codes. Kinda cool to watch.

Sounds like your boys were raised great. Most kids are oblivious to all that and blindly expose their entire life on social media. Good job Cen & GoG!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

I like the way your kids think and love that they have opinions about it. It's also cool to hear what the youth is thinking about all this. I love Xbox Live and all of the media features, so that alone was a selling point for me. I've been a Sony fan boy for 20 years, so I love seeing PS find success in the US again. The original PS didn't have comp and the PS2 blew Xbox out the water, since they had soooo many great games. Xbox 360 killed PS3 in the US, but I blame that on the finicky processor in the the PS3. I honestly loved the 360 for its hackability. My 360 has two NANDS so I get the best of both worlds!

Sounds like your boys were raised great. Most kids are oblivious to all that and blindly expose their entire life on social media. Good job Cen & GoG!

they are just figuring it all out. they never listened, they just got screwed so many times that it finally sunk in. probably better to learn that way. life is an excellent teacher and has a way of offering refresher courses when you dont get it all the first time
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Microsoft never said it, but they were emulating Steam with their new policies.  People love Steam, but they went ballistic when Microsoft first announced the connect policies and all that.