Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza tonight

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Cheese pizza
Used Oaxaca cheese, fresh tomato and cooked down sauce made with dried herbs and tomato sauce.  Dough recipe is from Martha Stewart 2 hour basic dough recipe.  On Small 550 Set up was small woo grate at felt line, then mini's woo, then pizza stone.  Made two.  No picture of the first cooked..we were too hungry.  This dough recipe is a keeper. We made two pizza and froze the rest. 
Dough recipe link: http://www.marthastewart.com/332275/basic-pizza-dough.  A good quick go to dough.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks delish, Joan!
    Beautiful! I need to look up that dough recipe!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Thanks y'all.  
    @nola,  try the Oaxaca  cheese rather than mozz.  I think it has a nuttier flavor that the store bought mozz.  Same chew, same stretch and same burn on the chin :-).  
    @GoG I think you will like the dough.  Nice flavor.  We will see how well it freezes.
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Girl_on_Grill Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I can't wait to hear how this dough performs out of the freezer. I love my dough recipe, but it is time intensive and doesn't freeze well at all.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd like to try that dough.  I just used up the last of a 10 KG case of Tipo...and I'm ready for some fluffy dough.  I like that you hand stretched it.   Done good.
    Options
    Just used King Arthur AP... nothing fancy.  BTW it is a very sticky dough.  Had to oil up the hands to play with it.  I like that I didn't have to us the stand mixer and no kneading.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Pie looks great Joan!  Your crust looks amazing!!  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Thanks.  It is a quick cooking dough.  First 4 minutes on the stone and then raised off stone for another 2 minutes.  Did it reverse the second cook. Probably could have left it on the stone for another 30 seconds
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2013
    Options
    The underside of your crust looks great. Do you leave the pie on the parchment paper for the whole cook?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @cazzy, thanks. Waiting will see how the frozen dough works out. If that turns out ok then this will be my go to pizza dough.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    @TofThe N.Thanks, first cook removed the parchment paper after minute three. The first pizza the crust got a little too dark for me, but other half liked it.
    On the second cook left parchment on cause dough falls thru holes on the pizza screen. I used an inverted aluminum plate and then placed pizza screen on that just to get an air layer between the stone and the crust.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    we do need a good quick dough for non-planned cooks. last time we bought at whole foods....no bueno. all proofed differently and every pie turned out different. 2 burned, one puffed up like a pastry and 2 others took forever and were still doughy.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Nice!!  Haven't made pizza in awhile.  I might hafta do one this weekend.