Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best source for lump near Southlake, TX

Options
We are moving to Southlake in July. Where is the best place to buy lump around there? Is there a good place to buy rubs?

I had been buying WGWW from Ace where we live now (I stocked up right before they stopped carrying it) and am a fan of how it burns. Assuming the egg makes it in one piece, it will be a sin to move my BGE from Maryland to Texas and not use it right away so I will be looking to stock up on lump as soon as we get to town. Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Options
    Foreman's in colleyville would be a start.
  • Aggie96_Egger
    Options
    Any Walmart around carries royal oak. BBQ Outfitters in southlake is the closest BGE dealer. Haven't been there but I am sure that they could hook you up.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bbq outfitters has a shop in s lake. they are not cheap but carry the good stuff. Ozark oak is $10 for 10 lb. if you buy 2 at a time.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    HEB carries central market lump year round. $12 for 20lbs. I use that 90% of the time.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Slobberdog
    Slobberdog Posts: 54
    Options
    I live in Southlake. There is an ACE in Keller (border town to the West) that has carried WG in the past but are currently out of stock. I bought my Egg at BBQ Outfitters in Southlake 3 years ago. Last time I was in there they were selling BGE and Ozark Oak. They also carry a lot of different smoking woods. As said, they are expensive. Foremans in Colleyville (border town to the South) is a cool general store kind of place with a lot of good rubs and hot sauces. They carry Dizzy Pig, Bad Byron's, and several others. They are also a BGE dealer. Southlake doesn't have an HEB . . . but does have a Central Market. I haven't tried their in house brand but have bought B&B there which I didn't really like; too sparky. All that being said, I prefer to buy Royal Oak at Wal-Mart in Grapevine (border town to the East). I have recently been buying my rubs and sauces from a cool small mechanic shop turned coffee bean importer/BBQ shop in Fort Worth called Rodak's near my office,

Welcome to town. I'd be happy to help answer any other questions you have about the area. If you're moving here, I assume you have kids. I have 2 daughters (9 & 11) and can give you info on schools, sports, etc.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I have never been to Foremans. I might just wander over there this afternoon.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    just got back. they had bge and ozark oak, nothing else. there was a good selection of rubs. worth the drive for the rub.
    Cookin in Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Reading the above, as I would expect there are many options-a couple of obeservations-WGWW (if in the new packaging with the blue printing) has gone way down-hill quality-wise based on the three bags I have used-so if you have the older packaging (red label) then enjoy. And any time you can find lump outside WW-go for it-thank God they are not the sole provider where I live (Louisville) or I would be improvising ( personal vendetta here). 

Enjoy moving to the land of "Q"- next question you should ask is "where do I find the best "Q"?  Gonna be some good eats as long as you aren't too attached to Maryland sea-food!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    boatbum said:
    just got back. they had bge and ozark oak, nothing else. there was a good selection of rubs. worth the drive for the rub.

ozark is awesome. All i use.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Pacuare
    Pacuare Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It sounds like there are a lots of places to check out for lump and rubs, which is not the case here.  We walked through the Central Market there when we were house hunting but I missed the lump. I think I was too busy checking out all the good looking food we don't see in southern Maryland. 

I actually won't be missing Maryland seafood since I haven't eaten seafood once while we lived here.  Some people would probably consider that a crime but I am allergic to crab.  That definitely made my husband sad because we never went out to eat for seafood.  

I am sure we will be on the hunt for some good "Q" other than what comes off my egg.  
    ;).  I am most excited about good Tex-Mex rather than barbecue though even though that might be a crime to admit on this forum.   

@Slobberdog - We do have kids but they are still little - 4, 2, and 1 month.  So far I have been able to find soccer, gymnastics, swim lessons, and preschools but if something comes up I can't find the answer too, I might take you up on that offer and send you a message.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Pacuare said:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It sounds like there are a lots of places to check out for lump and rubs, which is not the case here.  We walked through the Central Market there when we were house hunting but I missed the lump. I think I was too busy checking out all the good looking food we don't see in southern Maryland. 

I actually won't be missing Maryland seafood since I haven't eaten seafood once while we lived here.  Some people would probably consider that a crime but I am allergic to crab.  That definitely made my husband sad because we never went out to eat for seafood.  

I am sure we will be on the hunt for some good "Q" other than what comes off my egg.  
    ;).  I am most excited about good Tex-Mex rather than barbecue though even though that might be a crime to admit on this forum.   
    Not a crime at all.....many of us love the great Tex-Mex down here and there's lots of great choices for sure.  And welcome to Texas and the area.  Southlake is a really nice place to live and raise a family.  I think y'all will love it!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer