Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajita Marinade

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

This is from another thread but I wanted to know where to find it. It's the only place I have it written down!

1C-EVOO

1/2C Red Wine Vinegar

1/2 cup Ponzu (can also use Soy or Teriyaki)

6 oz pineapple juice (that is the size of the small cans at the grocery store)

1-large chipotle pepper (in can in adobo sauce)- could add another one for my tatse but start with 1 if you don't like spicy

1 Tablespoon Achiote Paste

3 cloves Garlic

Little Salt and Pepper

I blended up for 1 minute in my blender to get everything good and emulsified.

I rub my steak (or chicken or pork) with EVOO, Salt, Pepper, and Achiote Paste. I let it sit for a while until it's good and red (30 minutes or so) then I pour the marinade over and let sit in fridge overnight or at least 4 hours.

Achiote paste can be found in the Mexican section of many mainstream stores and in all Mexican food stores.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• ButtNeckid
    Options
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Thanks CT.  Printed out.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, the verdict is in. Voted best ever by ravenous 13 and 17 year old boys (they are actually pretty hard on me and still swear "Uncle Tim" makes better steak than I do.....but I'm not bitter  >:P ) 

Did not rub the chicken with Achiote or would have been very red. Just had some extra marinade and 2 lonely chicken breasts sitting in the fridge. They were awesome. Definitely give this one a try and see if you likey.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    On my short list to try within the week-after a trip to the local Mexican grocery store-main-line chain (Kroger) doesn't carry the Achiote paste or chipotles & adobo in this part of the country (Louisville, KY).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    On my short list to try within the week-after a trip to the local Mexican grocery store-main-line chain (Kroger) doesn't carry the Achiote paste or chipotles & adobo in this part of the country (Louisville, KY).
    They are standard fare in Mexican groceries.

If you don't want to make a vinaigrette, you can cheat and use Newman's Own Oil and vinegar. It's a similar flavor and I used it for years before making my own. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Thanks for the alternative option.  I'll give your original a go and if I hose that up I'll go commercial-I think it's beer 30 time:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for the alternative option.  I'll give your original a go and if I hose that up I'll go commercial-I think it's beer 30 time:)
    I just cracked one. Long day in the yard today. My cookin (and fun) is done

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bump- sorry ya'll needed this for something and couldnt find it on my phone. Nothing to see here...carry on.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Here is my recipe for Achiote Paste

4teaspoons of annatto seeds

2-3 small bay leafs

1teaspoon Mex oregano

1/4 teaspoon cumin seed

1teaspoon course Kosher salt

Grind up in coffee grinder

Place 

6 gloves garlic in mini processor pulse to mince

Add juice 1lemon pulse 2x to blend

Add 1 tablespoon OJ pulse to blend

Note if you can find s Seville orange (bitter  orange) use that in lieu of lemon juice  and OJ.
    If you have a very good quality of Tequila add a tablespoon or two to the paste.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cool Joan! I buy the boxes stuff. This looks awesome. Glad I bumped it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This is the greatest night ever. Now for something off-color CT.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    C-T the recipe isn't etched in stone, I have a twisted Texas recipe that adds Expresso coffee and chipotle pepper to the grind.  Use that on pork and chicken.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

C-T the recipe isn't etched in stone, I have a twisted Texas recipe that adds Expresso coffee and chipotle pepper to the grind.  Use that on pork and chicken.  

10-4. Same here. Depends on the day but I wouldn't have known where to start without you.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Made a new version with what I had on hand last night. It was awesome so wanted to have the recipe somewhere I could always find it. 

1c-EVOO
    1/2c-red wine vinegar 
    1/4c- Bachans Japanese BBQ sauce
    juice of one large lime
    2TBSP- Chimayo chili powder
    4-5 cloves garlic
    big pinch salt and pepper. 

Would still be great with chipotle and achiote but I didn’t have any on hand. It was still really good with how we made it. 

This makes a lot so you can cut in half for a normal sized cook. The full recipe would easily be enough for 6-8 large skirts so scale accordingly.