Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of buying a Med. Egg

piney
piney Posts: 1,478
I found a med for sale with nest for about 350.00 I was thinking of another large or a small. What are the pros and cons of a med? I know they are kinda an "odd size" but what about accessories, what will and will not work? I might buy the med and give it to my neice.
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The only problem with the medium is the dearth of aftermarket accessories. Other than that it is great. Just don't drop the dome... CGW just started making a swing grate for the medium. You can also get use the grid extender to do the exact same thing for much less cost; it just doesn't have the carbon steel grids(you can always get 2 CI grids). It worked for me for 90% of my cooks. The only that was limited was packer briskets, ribs and multiple pork butts due to the 15" grid. The grid extender would really help with this.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Is that a used price? I'm assuming so

XLBGE 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I started w. 1 med. The dealer offered it at a good price. When I realized what of good cooker the Egg was, I wished I had bought a large. The next year I bought another medium to increase cooking area and versatility. Now. w. the kids out of the house, my wife and I rarely need to fire both up for our meals.

Fewer accessories, it is true. And packer briskets need to start folded. But I did a whole hog's head in one last summer. I had to mess w. fire bricks, grills and drip pans to find a set up that would allow the head to fit w/o hitting the Egg sides. But once I did, the results were the best pork I have ever eaten.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I picked one up off Craigslist for $240 and gave it to my daughter and her husband -- it works out fine for them.  I have a large, and if i thought i'd need another egg(?) i would stick to another large since the accessories alone would cost almost as much as the used egg.  This would keep everything "standardized"..........
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I picked up a medium a couple of months ago and it's sorta worked out that I use it for direct cooking and the large for smoking/baking aka indirect stuff.   Plus added options for pardy time cooking. 
    I have a medium, and I like it. the only accessory I use is the platesetter. I bought a medium because I had never seen an egg used, and I was hesitant to spend so much ona large with zero egg experience. I will likely expand to a large or XL in the next few years, but the medium is fine for me and my family. the only time I have issues is with parties.

if I was you I'd get it,I think it is a good starter size, and you can't beat that price.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Our MBGE does 95% of our cooks, just the two of us. The LBGE is the most common family egg with a bunch of accessories available, but the setter, swing grid and others available for the medium make it quite versatile. Obviously it does use less lump than a large. 
    Any size of egg available used for the right price is a good buy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    What Skiddymarker says....for two it works just fine.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I have a large and would like a small to go with it and to use with my camper etc. I just noticed this one for sale and have given some thought about buying it. I can always make the accessories I need for the med. and use the large when needed. I was just wondering what the med. owners thought about their egg.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    i have a medium and a mini. Got the medium first and use it just about every day for 2 years now. Now that i have the grill extender, thanks @eggcelsior @mrcookingnurse, i can fit 3 8lb butts vs 2 before, 4 racks of ribs as opposed to 3 and chicken wings galore. I have the platesetter, woo, wok, guru wifi, pizza stone. love it all. i would love to get my hands on another medium. the mini is pretty awesome too, but i'll save that for another day.  
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    I love mine.
    MBGE in Charleston

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    edited June 2013
    I recently added a medium to my family.  It compliments our large as NOLA said above.  Check out the Woo 2 from the Ceramic Grill Store and the Grill Extender (group buy on this forum last month).  These are two great eggcessories for the medium!

The medium is much easier to transport.  We seem to be taking it all over the place.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles