Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Embarassed

Used the Gasser to cook a spatchcocked chicken, with grilled romaine salad and baked potato last night.

Wife hates chicken on the egg.  She says it gets way too smoky flavored.  I think she is crazy.  So we compromise and I don't cook chicken on the egg.

But as they say if there are no pictures it did not happen.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Are you adding wood chunks to your lump when you cook your chicken... leave it out if you are.

Are you waiting until you've got clean smoke?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    My wife doesn't care for smoke and she has never complained. You sure you are letting egg burn clean before you out bird on??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777

Used the Gasser to cook a spatchcocked chicken, with grilled romaine salad and baked potato last night.

Wife hates chicken on the egg.  She says it gets way too smoky flavored.  I think she is crazy.  So we compromise and I don't cook chicken on the egg.

But as they say if there are no pictures it did not happen.

Assuming you are doing everything else right, see if you can snag a bag of Rockwood Charcoal.  It was very very mild.  Noticeably mild.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I think it is burning clean.  typically let it burn for about 45 minutes.  Don't think I have ever paid attention to the smoke color.  No wood chunks.  It definitely has a Smokey flavor.  I always figured it was because it was chicken and chicken tastes like what ever you season it with.

I have only used BGE lump.  have some RO I want to try this weekend but I hear they make BGE so that likely won't make a difference.

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    I think it has to be the lump you are using.  My wife HATES smoke and I do chicken all the time on the egg and she loves it.  I was using BGE lump but switched to RO recently.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@itguywithanegg - it's the BGE lump.  When I first got the egg it was a rocky start... the wife didn't like anything off it - except pizza which was cooked at nuclear temps.  I jumped in and got 3 bags of BGE when I brought it home.  Before I finished it up I got some Maple Leaf (pure Maple Hardwood lump) and the taste was waayyyy less smoky.  She was satisfied and I was much happier.  One year later the doubt is still in her mind every time she takes a first bite.... and then she's usually okay.

I only used the BGE for long smokes like pulled pork where smoky is expected and she's not a big eater.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• billsme
    billsme Posts: 42

Yup, it's not the lump I think it's the wife....  Just kidding. :-)

• sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    BGE lump has a smokier taste. I switched to RO and the smoke taste is not as strong. I like it better,
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I think I would get a new wife! :D
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I heard BGE lump is RO's best lump.  I'd listen to the Wiz before switching to RO.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag5.htm
    My pop was in town for a while , he was a smoke flavor complainer. I told him too bad, I make and cook what we usually eat, he still ate it.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SkinnyV said:
    My pop was in town for a while , he was a smoke flavor complainer. I told him too bad, I make and cook what we usually eat, he still ate it.
    Yeah - shut-up dad and eat the delicious food.  I won't even make you finish your plate before you can leave the table like you did to me.
    @The_Naked_Whiz,

I'm sure glad you liked Rockwood. I just snagged five bags!

• My family is sensitive to smoke flavor.  I use smoke, but not a lot.  More cooks than not I have no wood in the lump.  :-<
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2013
    @itguywithanegg - what is your method of cookin your chicken? My wife is not a big smoke fan either and complained about the chicken as well. I started cooking my birds hotter, say like 400 or so raised way up in the dome and I have not heard any more complaints but she might have just gave in, who knows

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    When I do a spatchcock chicken (pretty often), I use raised grid with an aluminum drip pan on the lower grid.  No drippings hitting the fire, no excessive smoke.  Just a nice light flavor from the lump.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    @itguywithanegg - what is your method of cookin your chicken? My wife is not a big smoke fan either and complained about the chicken as well. I started cooking my birds hotter, say like 400 or so raised way up in the dome and I have not heard any more complaints but she might have just gave in, who knows

Good point....we never really know, do we?  Just beware, she may bring it up when you least expect it.  :-@

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• pileit1971
    pileit1971 Posts: 136
    Sorry been gone for a while, what is RO lump?
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Royal Oak.  A very popular brand.  They also make some that's sold in other bags including BGE brand lump.
    Flint, Michigan
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

SkinnyV said:

Yeah - shut-up dad and eat the delicious food.  I won't even make you finish your plate before you can leave the table like you did to me.

or threaten to make you eat with the dogs if your manners are bad!
    LOL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    @The_Naked_Whiz,

I'm sure glad you liked Rockwood. I just snagged five bags!

Let me know what you think.  :)
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Hi itguywithanegg, you might want to try "The Chicken" recipe found here. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/421267/the-chicken#latest  It was the first recipe I tried with my new AR from Tom. Outstanding to say the least. I also believe The Naked Whiz has this posted on his outstanding site as well.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    If all else fails...how attached are you to this wife of yours?  :P

If my wife didn't like chicken on the egg, that might fall under the category of irreconcilable differences :))

Think you could get an annulment if you can find an eggin judge :))
    Greensboro, NC