Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tieing a Butt

Options
I have two boneless butts from Costco. They are both "lose" on one end, doi I need to tie these for smoking?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Never have done it but good question.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't know if it is a necessity, but I tied them when I did Costco boneless at the suggestion of a friend.  If you have butchers twine handy I would tie them...can't hurt anything.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I exclusively use Costco butts and have never tied them. There is no need.When you place it on the grid, maintain the "shape" the butt came in when cryovaced and put the loose end on the bottom.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am doing two right now from Costco, they were loose at the end as well but I put them in my rib rack which holds them together so I don't tie them. I have done numerous like this and they turn out great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I never have tied them, and i think it exposes more meat for bark, for those who love "bark"..
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I tie, but then I seem to have a thing about tying things up... 
    Done it both ways, but a tied butt seems to hold whatever I inject a bit better, and it is easier to lift and move the butt around. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    i tuck the loose end under but my brother will open it splayed flat, he puts the inside cut part on top and it seems to pool up and hold more rub and it cooks in half the time. it seems to work well and ive seen him light the egg at 9 am, throw a 7 pounder on and we are eating before 2
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    I tied the ones I did about a month ago. They had pieces hanging at the end, and contrary to when I cook a brisket, I didn't want the burnt pieces. I tied them up and they did fine. I would say if there is nothing really loose hanging on the end there not to worry about it.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I don't tie, either, but using the rack looks like a very good idea.  I'm gonna try it next time.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon