Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What makes the egg great?

2»

Comments

• sox203
    sox203 Posts: 22
    Thanks guys, it sounds like my next steps for chicken are to raise the grid, I've had it at the felt line let last few cooks, and bump the temp up to 400.  I did let it dry out in fridge over night, if I get the bird in time I drop it in a brine as well.

I have yet to try a steak on the egg, just burgers to date.  I'm going to get some 2" fire bricks to drop the grid closer to the fire and give it a go this weekend.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You can use fire bricks to set on top of your gasket level grid, then buy the correct size Webber Replacement grill at Home Depot and you will be cooking 'high up in the dome"!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

@sox203, to do steak on the egg like you won't get anywhere else, try "hot-tubbing".  Do a little searching here for the process, it's pretty easy (and sure makes the egg GREAT!".

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Kain
    Kain Posts: 21
    For me as a new egg owner (three weeks), it's all about the flavor. I haven't cooked a meal in-doors since using the egg. I have a nice convection oven in my kitchen, but you can't replicate the same wood smoked flavor inside. I threw whole snapper on that was the most delicious fish I've ever cooked. And I figure for those times I'm going to eat something unhealthy, why not do it right?

I was burning through lump in my old inefficient Weber-like grill and could never maintain consistent temps like I can with the egg. Plus it's rusted after just three years. With care, I hope to keep this egg for at least a decade.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    YEMTrey said:

What makes the Egg great..........hmm.........

1. Beer
    2. A good butcher
    3. Family and Friends

Time to see a shrink... I agree with a Michigan fan.
    :((

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • sox203
    jaydub58 said:

@sox203, to do steak on the egg like you won't get anywhere else, try "hot-tubbing".  Do a little searching here for the process, it's pretty easy (and sure makes the egg GREAT!".

Funny, I've been looking for sous vide set up.  In the mean time I'll give the beer cooler method a try.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061

wait, what way are legs supposed to face?

Over the shoulders...that's my preference. =))
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What makes it great? Good lump. What makes it f@&+(ing awesome? Ozark Oak.

Ray Charles could've seen that coming.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Others have mentioned it, but what has sold me on the Egg is definitely the versatility which is unmatched with any other cookers I've seen or used.  Not only that, but that it does everything extremely well from low and slow, direct grills, hot and fast sears, and even baking for pizza or whatever.  Also love the unique flavor it adds to even the most simple and mundane cooks. 

I've found my direct grills (burgers, steaks, etc.) to be far better than any other griller I've owned, and the low and slow smoking to be at least on par if not better than other top-notch smokers I've cooked on over the years with far less attention and maintenance during the cook.  The pizzas are the best and just an added bonus. 

I knew of the Egg and really never looked into it and thought it looked funny, etc., until a buddy bought one.  All it took was eating twice at his place off the Egg, once pizza and once beef fajitas.  I immediately built a table and picked up my Egg the next month.  I've even sold my gasser and can't imagine every having or needing another cooker.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    KennyLee said:

I knew of the Egg and really never looked into it and thought it looked funny, etc., until a buddy bought one.  All it took was eating twice at his place off the Egg, once pizza and once beef fajitas.  I immediately built a table and picked up my Egg the next month.  I've even sold my gasser and can't imagine every having or needing another cooker.

You mean until you buy your 2nd egg, right?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    KennyLee said:

You mean until you buy your 2nd egg, right?
    Well, that's a given!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28

One word... versatility

• Q27
    Q27 Posts: 5
    Even mistakes taste great
  • sox203
    Thanks everyone, here's what I'm taking away from the thread.

1.  cooking outside with fire and a malted beverage is fun
    2.  cooking with fire adds a unique flavor
    3.  you can add smoke at will
    4.  the egg holds temps extremely well
    5.  the egg can smoke, roast, bake and grill - versatile
    6.  the egg can run at very low and very high temps 

Tonight I'll be trying out the TRex steak method, time to head to the butcher!