Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salsa Verde - need recipe

Options

Anyone have a good recipe for Salsa Verde?

My wife had some at a restaurant and really liked how it kicked up her fajitas.  Figured it might be something to do at home for bonus points.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    This one is my favorite.  I am not sure if you could technically call it salsa verde, but it amazing and really takes advantage of the BGE char marks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • large or 6 small tomatillos, husked (about 8 ounces)
    • plum tomatoes (about 12 ounces)
    • cloves garlic
    • jalapeno
    • 1/2 white onion, halved
    • Vegetable oil, for brushing
    • tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    • teaspoon sugar
    • Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
    • canned chipotle chiles en adobo
    • Corn tortilla chips, or twelve 6-inchcorn tortillas, quartered, for serving

DIRECTIONS

Cook's Note: If making corn tortilla chips with fresh tortillas, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until the temperature registers 350 degrees F. Using tongs, work in batches to fry the tortilla quarters until golden brown andcrisp, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with salt immediately. Repeat until all the tortillas have been fried. 

Prepare a grill to medium-high heat. 

Brush the tomatillos, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno and onions with some oil and grill over direct heat until char marks appear. Remove from the grill and let cool. 

To control the spice in your salsa, stem and remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapeno for a milder flavor. Combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno and onions in a food processor and pulse until mostly pureed, but slightly chunky. Add the cilantro and sugarand sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Continue to pulse until pureed. Taste and add more salt and black pepper if desired. 

Set half of the salsa aside in a serving dish. Add the chipotles to the food processor and pulse with the remaining salsa until combined. Add to the serving dish. Serve with tortilla chips.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I love Salsa Verde myself and used some on my fish tacos last night. IMO, it's one of those things that's just easier to buy than to make myself.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Here's my recipe. You can also add a bit of sour cream or crema fresca if you like a creamier style sauce. I use this for salsa & as a chicken enchilada sauce. 

Ingredients: 
    1 lb Tomatillos, husked 
    2 Serrano Peppers, Seeded 
    1 Tbsp Olive Oil 
    1 Medium White Onion 
    3 Cloves Garlic 
    1/3 Cup Cilantro 
    2 Cups Chicken Broth 
    3/4 tsp Salt 

Directions: 
    On the egg or in a broiler, char tomatillos & serranos, puree.
    Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat, add diced onion & sauté 7 min or until golden. 
    Add chopped minced garlic and sauté 1 minute more. 
    Turn heat up to medium high. When sizzling, add tomatillo puree & stir until color darkens (about 3-4 minutes). 
    Add cilantro & broth, reduce heat to medium-low & simmer until reduced to 3 cups (about 30 minutes) Add salt (and crema fresca, if desired)