Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Frying on egg?

2»

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,049
    edited June 2013
    I only fry on the Mini as above. Like @fishlessman said it is SMALL batch frying. Like a half doz shrimp or oysters at a time. Then it takes 4 or 5 mins to get back to 375/385 to cook next batch. This is something for one or two people at most and nothing other to mess with. I am not saying this is the way to cook for a several people hungry. Way to slow a cook.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,719
    I may just look into ways to bake them or simply use a little oil on the stove top and just brown each side. Ive never fried anything..and this may not be the time to start.
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 748
    Cowdogs said:

If you are using a dutch over made of cast iron, then a $100 induction burner sitting outside next to the egg gives far safer/faster/cheaper/better results.

My wife has been talking about getting a fryer when we build a cooking deck, this might be a much more useful option!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,410
    edited June 2013
    Dutch oven on the egg is safer than guys like mickey and myself frying in the mini wok.

I picked up his bad habit (jk)..but it works.

BTW I've done it 5+ times and never felt unsafe doing so. Knock on wood..
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,697
    Great a mini wok. Just what I need is another eggsessory
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,410
    edited June 2013
    N
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,759

Other than to just say that I've done it, I don't see the point in frying on an Egg. I use one of those turkey frier stands and some good ole cast iron. Quicker, much easier to control the heat or shut off the fire.

I mean, I could probably do this on the Egg in really, really small batches just to say I had, but is it worth it?

I don't use a 10 lb sledgehammer to knock in picture nails. Pick the right tool for the job.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·