Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Frying on egg?

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,752
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever deep fat fried anything In oil in a Dutch oven on the bge. I found a recipe for falafals that I want to try out..but I don't really want to do deep frying on the stove top..so I was wondering if any of you have suggestions or comments about it
·

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,944
    It's been done, not by me, but it has been done. Biggest thing is to make sure that you don't have so much oil that it endangers overflow out of the Dutch oven. If it overflows holy fire batman.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,752
    Yeah I need about three inches of oil in a Dutch oven..I'm starting to think maybe I should just bake the, instead of fry
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,309
    I usually keep the frying to inside my trailer.... But I do live in the south

XLBGE 
    ·
    I did read that you could just have an inch of oil and fry on each side..the falafel is vegetarian so I don't have to worry about under cooking it...might just have to try frying it
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    Yes. I've done fried eggplant. It works out great.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • ArbucklejArbucklej Posts: 90
    Yes i fry fish on my wok setup all the time just dont overdo the oil and watch your drips cuz they ca cause a major flare up
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    edited June 2013
    I've fried veggies for tempura in a Lodge 2 QT Camp Dutch Oven on my Mini (on the Woo). We deep fried samosas in a 20" wok on an XL sitting on a CGS spider. As stated, don't overfill the oil and exercise caution.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,320
    Please promise to video if you do - you could make a million Internet Dollarz when that spills and goes Chernobyl on you...
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    edited June 2013
    Do it all the time. imageimageimage
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    edited June 2013
    I use a 10" wok on the Mini. Works out fine. Fish, shrimp, onions, boudin balls. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Shrimp and oysters. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    edited June 2013
    The above was with a Mini and I am all for it, and do it on the porch. BUT if you are using a Large like this guy at Texas Fest a few years ago PLEASE get away from the house. His chicken was outstanding and the best Fest food I can remember (maybe just the cook). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
    The big trick frying on the Egg is to let your oil get back to temp for the next batch.

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,610
    Mickey said:
    The big trick frying on the Egg is to let your oil get back to temp for the next batch.
    Actually, that's important no matter how your frying.You also want to make sure that you don't get your oil to hot so you might consider having a thermometer to check the oil temperature (and know the smoke point of the oil you are using). Finally, unless you have a really long set on tongs (like the guy in Mickey's picture above) you might want to have an oven mitt or glove on your turning hand. It can get very hot very quickly when your get your hand directly over the grid.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    All good points. I have an ir thermometer .. Anyone ever us one for the temp of oil? Or should I use a cooking thermometer?
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,893
    Not sure about the thermo- I think a cooking thermo would give you a more accurate reading since you can submerge it in the oil; but the IR might be "close enough" and then there is nothing to clean off.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    +1 with @SmokeyPitt
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I use my Thermapen

·
    Aww thats a good idea @mickey. ; The recipe calls for peanut oil @350, is that a bad idea? What oil do you prefer for frying?
    ·
    I like 375 to 385. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
    edited June 2013
    No need to get into a debate about the various cooking oil options. Peanut oil is fine but there are less expensive alternatives and, as it looks like you already have the peanut oil, I'd just use that (assuming that no one eating your falafals has a peanut allergy).
    If you are using a dutch over made of cast iron, then a $100 induction burner sitting outside next to the egg gives far safer/faster/cheaper/better results.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,893
    Cowdogs said:
    If you are using a dutch over made of cast iron, then a $100 induction burner sitting outside next to the egg gives far safer/faster/cheaper/better results.
    My pop picked up one of these at Tuesday Morning for like $30.  It works great with CI.  Definitely safer than oil and open flame ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·

Im unfamiliar with induction burner, and i dont have a dutch oven yet..im still debating on using a Wok

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191

Cooking oil burns at temperatures above 400 degrees and does not produce good tasting products from that point forward --  yes, the product will look great, but the great taste is not there!  Frying on and egg seems dangerous to me, and would be a problem maintaining oil temperatures between 350 to 375 degrees without exceeding 400 degrees??

When i want to fry something i use this>>

imageimageimageimage
    ·

looks great! I figured frying on the egg is safer then frying in the house on a gas stove

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,307
    i use the oil in the wok, bring egg to 600 degrees dome, open egg and shut the lower vent to tame the flames,  add wok and oil and check temps with the thermapen. never shut the dome because a flash back with oil in there would be a bad thing.  with the wok you use less oil than something with a flat bottom
    ·
    No need to get into a debate about the various cooking oil options. Peanut oil is fine but there are less expensive alternatives and, as it looks like you already have the peanut oil, I'd just use that (assuming that no one eating your falafals has a peanut allergy).

Have used both and I like peanut oil better.

·
    i imagine if i use a Wok i could maybe do just one or two falafals at a time so it wouldnt take much oil
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2013
    One thing that would worry me about frying on the egg is it's ability to reach VERY high temperatures.  High enough to flash the oil, meaning you really could have a fire without spilling oil into the lump.  Just consider the number of fires caused by turkey friers, and gas is slow reacting compared to an open lump fire.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,307
    i imagine if i use a Wok i could maybe do just one or two falafals at a time so it wouldnt take much oil
    i would only do small batch frying with the egg anyways, after that i would dig out the turkey fryer burner that really on gets used for big seafood cooks
    ·