Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Egg owner question

I have a MBGE and a large. I mostly cook on the medium, but cook on the large when the family is over or whatnot. On low and slows, I consistently get better results with my medium than with my large. Generally more moist meat with a better bark. Has anyone else experienced this with larger eggs vs the smaller models?

(Btw, high-que grates on both with the thermometers calibrated before each cook on both)
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I prefer my large for low and slows, feel I get better results with it and I'm more comfortable letting it go a long time.  I have a small/large combo. 

XLBGE 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Large and mini, threw a 4+ lb button the mini today despite having a large. Came out perfect.... Its just easier sometimes with the smaller setup.
    Seattle, WA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited June 2013
    The medium and large are very similar in how they cook, but the XL is a totally different animal.  It all has to do with the depth of the firebox.  I've never noticed what you did, but I'll pay attention it now.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have two larges, a small and a mini.  The larges are my smokers and bakers mainly do to the amount of real estate they offer and ease of temp control.  When I'm just grilling for the wife and I, the small and the mini get all of the work load.  Neither of the little guys offer enough room to low and slow anything I want to do.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    XL, L, S, Mini here and I haven't really noticed any difference in the end result across the different sizes. Brisket on my small cooks a little different not so much because of the cooker but because I have to arch the meat to get it to fit and the center cooks a little faster being higher up in the dome at a little hotter temp. I adjust my cook method a bit to get the same results. Usually I choose the smallest cooker that can get the job done without doing anything unusual.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA