Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Multiple Egg owner question

I have a MBGE and a large. I mostly cook on the medium, but cook on the large when the family is over or whatnot. On low and slows, I consistently get better results with my medium than with my large. Generally more moist meat with a better bark. Has anyone else experienced this with larger eggs vs the smaller models?

(Btw, high-que grates on both with the thermometers calibrated before each cook on both)
Chicago, Illinois

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,829
    I prefer my large for low and slows, feel I get better results with it and I'm more comfortable letting it go a long time.  I have a small/large combo. 

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,958
    Large and mini, threw a 4+ lb button the mini today despite having a large. Came out perfect.... Its just easier sometimes with the smaller setup.
    Seattle, WA
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 979
    edited June 2013
    The medium and large are very similar in how they cook, but the XL is a totally different animal.  It all has to do with the depth of the firebox.  I've never noticed what you did, but I'll pay attention it now.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

• BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,392
    I have two larges, a small and a mini.  The larges are my smokers and bakers mainly do to the amount of real estate they offer and ease of temp control.  When I'm just grilling for the wife and I, the small and the mini get all of the work load.  Neither of the little guys offer enough room to low and slow anything I want to do.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,625
    XL, L, S, Mini here and I haven't really noticed any difference in the end result across the different sizes. Brisket on my small cooks a little different not so much because of the cooker but because I have to arch the meat to get it to fit and the center cooks a little faster being higher up in the dome at a little hotter temp. I adjust my cook method a bit to get the same results. Usually I choose the smallest cooker that can get the job done without doing anything unusual.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA