Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How long before I put a butt on the egg should I rub it?

Is there any benefits to putting rub on a while before you smoke it?

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,636
    I usually just rub it right before I put it on.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,570
    I typically rub my butt the night before. Then I rub it some more an hour to showtime and then right before. I get a bit more levels of flavor but guests always rave at how delicious the butt is.
  • NsdexterNsdexter Posts: 153
    Depends on the rub and the desired affect
    HFX NS
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've done it 5 minutes before and 24 hours before and I can't tell a lick of difference.
  • stranny00stranny00 Posts: 36
    I was planning on using some mustard and dizzy dust

• sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,030
    I like putting anything with salt on just before the heat, I feel it weeps out the moisture from the meat.  I could be wrong.. in fact, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • NsdexterNsdexter Posts: 153
    edited June 2013
    I like putting anything with salt on just before the heat, I feel it weeps out the moisture from the meat.  I could be wrong.. in fact, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Actually if you use a lot of salt you're likely better off leaving it on for a while it will reabsorb kind of like a brine
    HFX NS
  • CAT SellerCAT Seller Posts: 205
    edited June 2013
    Duganboy Posts: 1,086 5:38PM I've done it 5 minutes before and 24 hours before and I can't tell a lick of difference. Agree
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • EldeElde Posts: 148
    Usually the night before... at least 12 hours.  And then wrap it real tight in plastic wrap so that any moisture that the salt pulls out forms a brine and is held close to the meat.
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,709
    I am putting on two butts right now for tonights dinner, I rubbed them last night and wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator. I like to think the rub will get into the meat more doing it this way but who knows for sure they are always eggcellent. 

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,687
    Very last minute for me. When the temp is stable, I take it out of the fridge, rub and throw it on. I've tried longer and noticed no difference. Btw, I rub it very heavily, no meat showing at all. And no mustard.

Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT!   ... Jon Stewart

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,588
    I have tried any combination you can think of-- 24 hours before, right before, 6 hours, 12 hours, and I just like doing it 12-24 hours in advance. No particular reason I just don't like doing everything at once
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,570
    Chubbs said:
    I have tried any combination you can think of-- 24 hours before, right before, 6 hours, 12 hours, and I just like doing it 12-24 hours in advance. No particular reason I just don't like doing everything at once
    I'm with Chubbs. BBQ was an event growing up(tending low and slows all night on a kettle and off-set) so I inherently am drawn to that. I like it being a 2-3 day process sometimes. Idiosyncrasies abound here, methinks. 
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    If i have the time, AND THINK OF IT(?), i like to put the rub on the day before and wrap it in plastic.  Most of the time it gets rubbed while the egg is heating up.  I use Bad Bryon's Butt Rub and it seems to melt quickly with the moisture of the meat, so i really don't taste a difference in the finished product? 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,465
    Salting the meat in advance helps.  Rubs have salt.