Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can you FTC a brisket?

First post and it's a dilemma I have...

I have been asked to cook a brisket for a friend's birthday party at noon on Saturday.  The party is in another city about 2 hours away and transporting my large BGE is not an option.  Further, I have to have it done by Friday around 2pm or so because that's when I need to drive the 2 hours.  Soooo.....

If it's done around 2 can I FTC it until about noon the next day?  That's about 22 hours of a hot brisket in a cooler - I've FTC'd for 4-5 hours no problem before but this is 4 times longer.

Or, should I throw it in the fridge after it's done and then reheat in an oven the next morning.  If so, about what temp and how long?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• nope. You are going to have to cool it and reheat. I've done 7-8 hrs with good results but you aren't even in the ballpark with 22. Sorry but you are going to have to cool it down and reheat (or go to Rudy's and tell them to leave it whole and act like it's yours)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    nope. You are going to have to cool it and reheat. I've done 7-8 hrs with good results but you aren't even in the ballpark with 22. Sorry but you are going to have to cool it down and reheat (or go to Rudy's and tell them to leave it whole and act like it's yours)

Now come on, say it isnt true.   A self respecting bbq'r passing off "store bought" for their own?

Has that ever happened?   LOL

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum said:
    nope. You are going to have to cool it and reheat. I've done 7-8 hrs with good results but you aren't even in the ballpark with 22. Sorry but you are going to have to cool it down and reheat (or go to Rudy's and tell them to leave it whole and act like it's yours)

Now come on, say it isnt true.   A self respecting bbq'r passing off "store bought" for their own?

Has that ever happened?   LOL

No- but I would rather do that than rewarm one of mine. i would tell the truth though....or would i?

• nope. You are going to have to cool it and reheat. I've done 7-8 hrs with good results but you aren't even in the ballpark with 22. Sorry but you are going to have to cool it down and reheat (or go to Rudy's and tell them to leave it whole and act like it's yours)

Thanks - that's what I figured. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    If you can - I recommend showing up at noon on saturday with a brisket that's been FTC for 2 hours.. you're the hero of the party! 

I'm doing that for a Garner State Park trip mid-July.. driving from Austin for ~2 hours with a brisket (or 2) to the Frio.  Should be great... 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Thanks - that's what I figured. 

It will still be good but as you know, they can be difficult to right once. Doing it twice is miracle work! I would keep it whole and wrapped in foil. Reheat in a 300 degree oven until like 140-ish then slice and eat fast. Bring sauce in case it dries out a little. Should be good though.

• If you can - I recommend showing up at noon on saturday with a brisket that's been FTC for 2 hours.. you're the hero of the party! 

I'm doing that for a Garner State Park trip mid-July.. driving from Austin for ~2 hours with a brisket (or 2) to the Frio.  Should be great... 
    That would be ideal - I'm going from Austin to San Antonio so even shorter than your trip.   I may try to do that.  I wrap my brisket in butcher paper when it hits about 170 or so...which means wrapping it up sometime in the middle of the night.  Something I was trying to avoid.

Garner in July - thank god it's the "Frio" river.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    If you can - I recommend showing up at noon on saturday with a brisket that's been FTC for 2 hours.. you're the hero of the party! 

That would be ideal - I'm going from Austin to San Antonio so even shorter than your trip.   I may try to do that.  I wrap my brisket in butcher paper when it hits about 170 or so...which means wrapping it up sometime in the middle of the night.  Something I was trying to avoid.

Garner in July - thank god it's the "Frio" river.
    Or just not wrapping it at all... until you're ready to FTC.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    You could have a problem if your internal temps go below safe ranges and make a lot of people sick.  I would not go more than 4 hours in any event.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited June 2013

You could have a problem if your internal temps go below safe ranges and make a lot of people sick.  I would not go more than 4 hours in any event.

Not sure i understand. Even the most strict commercial food service rule states a maximum of 4 hours BELOW 140. So if you are at 140 for 4, you have another 4 once it drops below that would be safe to feed to the elderly and sick. That make 8 hours well within food safety guidelines.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2013
    What CT said.  According to the Naked Whiz's experiment, it took 5 hours before the 200F food got below 140.  When you cook that hot, the food is effectively sterilized, and that resets the clock on that 4 hours. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coolerholding.htm

So that's 9 hours.

btw Cen-Tex Smoker - tried the Hendricks tonight - very good.   Guess I should have put this in the other topic - but - well - I tried alot of the Hendricks tonight, kept revalidating...   what else to do in a hotel in Tampa.

Cookin in Texas
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    @boatbum Do you mean Hendricks gin? That stuff is lights out. If the bartender is any good get a Hendricks and tonic with cucumber. Fantastic combo. 

B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    @boatbum Do you mean Hendricks gin? That stuff is lights out. If the bartender is any good get a Hendricks and tonic with cucumber. Fantastic combo. 

B_B 

yeah.   very similar to 209 in taste.  good stuff.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum said:

btw Cen-Tex Smoker - tried the Hendricks tonight - very good.   Guess I should have put this in the other topic - but - well - I tried alot of the Hendricks tonight, kept revalidating...   what else to do in a hotel in Tampa.

We are here to help. Glad to be of service. :)
  • not sure I've ever seen the word revalidating used in a sentence before. (It's a real word by the way). Gin soaked for sure and in no way accurate but kiddos to you my friend. I googled it and was smarter for it :)).

Glad you are posting again.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Reheating dries my brisket out dramatically, in all cases but one (the one you won't want to do)..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!