Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Welded Shut or Something!!! HELP!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am supposed to be cooking a butt right now, but I cleaned my egg at mega-high temperature for a full hour (like 750*++) and now that it has cooled, I can't get it open!! Oh the humanity!!! What can I do?[p]I have tugged and pulled as hard as I can, but that sucker ain't gonna budge! I am in the process of working a putty knife in between the felt seal with a hammer, but this is making me nervous.[p]Please tell me that there is an answer for this in BGE land! Please help! You can even call - I'll be up real real late! - 678-513-7519.[p]Jim Holman
10:43pm in Atlanta on July 3rd.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Jim Holman,
    Keep using the putty knife in the felt it will break loose. You will propably need to get another seal. No big deal.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Jim Holman, this happened a while back to another under identical circumstances. Try reheating the Egg to 500 F approx...and see if the dome doesn't come unglued..Otherwise you don't have much choice..
    Luck to ya..C~W
    The other gent started his coals back up from the ash vent under the grate..Start a cube and see if you can get the coals going again...[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    OK. I finally got it open. I kept at it with the putty knife and after I did about 12 inches around, I could finally lift the lid. Whew! Thanks to JJ for the call of advice and encouragement.[p]The seal had completely carbonized and turned into some kind of carbon super-glue. The BGE god allowed my stupidity to be somewhat recoverable. Scarred but smarter, or at least less dumb.[p]I have 2 7lb butts that need to be done about 2pm tomorrow. Once the temperature stablizes, I am going to bed.[p]Later,[p]Jim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Jim Holman,
    Nothing like good housekeeping. Lets everyone keep our seals clean and drip free. [p]Now lets cook something. My wife has me doing "burgers" tonight - the humanity of it all............................[p]
    Tim

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Jim Holman,
    When you replace your seal (a piece of cake), be sure to clean off the old seal real good first. 3M makes a paint and rust remover wheel for a drill that works real good.
    JimW