Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ive been using this brisket method with great results...

Nothing fancy here, and no offense to Travis as I love his method too. I just you tubed a while back on how to cook a brisket on the egg, and I came across this guys video. It seemed simple, and I tried it almost exactly how he did it, and have had great results. Sorry, no pics, but brisket is always tender, and never dry. These are whole packer briskets that he uses in the video. I always trim quite a bit of fat off like this guy does, and use the Worcestershire sauce before applying the rub. Only thing I have done different is the rub. I have been using the Dizzy Pig Red Eye express(coffee rub), and man that tastes good on briskets. Anyways, I wondered if this egghead is on this forum, and if so, thanks for sharing the great video. I will link it to share with others to try as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwzGVBeQtc

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    I couldn't get the video to load. What is the exact title and poster of the vid? Thanks for sharing in advance.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    It looks darn good!  Do you make burnt ends?  I have had my egg 3 years and I am a brisket virgin. :\">

I'm still a little torn as to whether I want to make burnt ends out of the point when I finally make one. After watching the Aaron Franklin vids he just cuts it up and serves it with the rest of the flat.  For a while it seemed every brisket cook included separating the point and making burnt ends; but lately most cooks I see just slice and serve.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have always just sliced and served, when I do a brisket there is usually a crowd waiting so no time to do the burnt ends, someday I will though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    +1 with the slice and serve crowd. After watching this video though I think I will try the burnt  ends next time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    Sorry for the bad link... But thanks to whoever linked it. I did burnt ends the first two times I did this, and they turned out pretty good, but they had a little too much smoke for me after doing that. So, over Fathers day weekend, I just sliced/cubed it after resting in foil in cooler for two hours. I liked that much better, so unless I can figure out how to do burnt ends better, I will do as the others and slice and serve.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Wastes too much time trimming it up... just smoke the damn thing already
  • I like the way you can hear his dog slobbering all over the place......oh he just called it out. Funny. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    EazyE said:
    Sorry for the bad link... But thanks to whoever linked it. I did burnt ends the first two times I did this, and they turned out pretty good, but they had a little too much smoke for me after doing that. So, over Fathers day weekend, I just sliced/cubed it after resting in foil in cooler for two hours. I liked that much better, so unless I can figure out how to do burnt ends better, I will do as the others and slice and serve.
    That link worked for me. 
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    hapster said:
    Wastes too much time trimming it up... just smoke the damn thing already
    I hear ya there Hap. He talks a lot in this video which prolonged it. It really only takes me maybe 5-10 minutes max to trim it. I know many who don't trim them at all, so to each their own.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    oh my god it's like watching a highwire act the way he cuts! he's going to slice himself to the bone one day............soon. I can't watch!
    Just ask TFJ
  • nolaegghead
    It would be really funny if, after every removed section of video, his fingers had yet another band-aid.  "notice my hand placement...if the knife slips, my hand will stop the blade from accidentally removing a section of meat..."
  • It would be really funny if, after every removed section of video, his fingers had yet another band-aid.  "notice my hand placement...if the knife slips, my hand will stop the blade from accidentally removing a section of meat..."
    Is it just me or is that scary to watch? That is a "how not to trim a brisket" safety video in the making (although he does trim it properly in my book- just scarily so)

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Don't think the knife was sharp enough to do much damage. Thought he could have used a drip pan too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    No, it is scary.  Also, when I trim I don't use a giant katana - I use a filet knife.  I guess that's personal preference, but I feel like I have more control with a smaller knife.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    No, it is scary.  Also, when I trim I don't use a giant katana - I use a filet knife.  I guess that's personal preference, but I feel like I have more control with a smaller knife.
    He couldn't find the Machete.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    That's what I use. I find that the best knife for taking silverskin off tenderloins and clump fat off everything else. Dogs like it better when I use a chef's knife though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    That's what I use. I find that the best knife for taking silverskin off tenderloins and clump fat off everything else. Dogs like it better when I use a chef's knife though.
    You saying you filet with a filet knife?
    No. I trim with a filet knife, I filet with a giant katana. Stay sharp things move fast around here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Don't think the knife was sharp enough to do much damage. Thought he could have used a drip pan too.
    I stopped watching after the trim. Tell me how it ended so I can comment intelligently.........never mind.

Like that's possible. He got tired of futzing around with the knife and put it on a thickness planer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Things used to be much more friendlier around here.  I'm outta here! ;)
    Thats what I thought. Just wanted to share what I thought was a good method..Guess I will go back to being just a lurker. :)>-
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    EazyE said:
    Thats what I thought. Just wanted to share what I thought was a good method..Guess I will go back to being just a lurker. :)>-
    Way to go guys!  [-(
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

EazyE said:
    I'm just messing with Steven.  You're post is perfectly fine.  Much better, actually, than the "What's wrong with you people" thread.... :)
    Did anyone notice that Nola was back? I-)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67

EazyE said:
    I'm just messing with Steven.  You're post is perfectly fine.  Much better, actually, than the "What's wrong with you people" thread.... :)
    Im just messing around too. I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, especially when it comes to BBQ. I do wonder if the guy in this video is a member here though. His feelings might be hurt if so...
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Went to the rub site, and holy sales pitch: http://texasbbqrub.com/secretsrevealed.htm. "Simple 1-2-3"s all over the place.
    Dunedin, FL