Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE and 1st time Ribeyes

Options
CeeGeeW
CeeGeeW Posts: 113
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the BGE world (old gas grill owner).  This is my first steak.  I picked up some nice size ribeyes from Costco (1.5 thick).  It's just me so I'm making just one nice sized.  I have been reading all the old threads about Ribeye and decided with this route:

Soak whiskey wood chips for 2 hrs
Make rub: olive oil, rosemary, pepper, minced garlic, salt and apply to steak (let sit outside of fridge for about 1.5 hrs)
Setup BGE for indirect heat at 250F
When at 250F, lift grid and place setter and throw in a handful soaked whiskey wood chips.  Replace place setter, put in drip pan and grid.
Put on lightly seasoned steaks for 45 mins (about 130 internal temp).  Take off steaks.
Let rest while grill heats up to 600 degress for reverse sear
At 600F put the ribeye back on for about 1.5 mins a side.
Rest 10 mins.

Any suggestions before I start the big feast?
Last note: my version of medium-rare seems to be everyone's rare.  So, to make things simple for me, I would like it medium with some crust on the outside.

Thanks all and glad to be here!
Los Angeles, CA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    My guess is you are going to end up around 150* after the rest which is medium. Don't need to soak chunks or chips with the egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That sounds like a fine plan to me.  Only thing is there is not really a need to soak the chips.  I don't think three is any particular harm to it, but just an unnecessary step.  

I think pulling at 130 is a good temp to pull after the roast to finish at medium.  I think you are in for a treat- good luck!   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the forum!

My advice is to use an instant read so you can keep the meat temp under control.   Thermapen or some other calibrated thermometer helps your meat come out the way you want it. 
    Options
    Thanks all.  I will not soak the chips (thanks for the tip).  
    I have a Cooper Atkins Waterproof therm which has been working pretty well.  If I didn't, I would definitely go with Thermapen after hearing all the great recommendations here.

I will post pictures tomorrow!  Thanks again.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • CeeGeeW
    Options
    Thanks again for the advice.  The Ribeye came out great! It was very moist and tasty. I took it out from the indirect at 130 IT and after the sear it was 150.  You called it Little Steven.  I didn't like the smell of those whiskey chips at all.  I won't use those again.  Also, next time I would sear another 30 secs per side to get it a little crispier.  Here are some pics.

Los Angeles, CA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice first Ribeye cook, looks fantastic.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good...you did want it medium after all.

Another option for the sear is to buy a grill grate small enough to set directly on the lump bed.  You don't need a roaring fire to sear if the food is sitting right on the burning coals.
    Options
    Looks perfect to me
    Chesapeake, VA
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Looks great!  Next time I am going to ask you for advice.  I love the plated pics with the grilled veggies.  What is the leafy stuff on the back of the egg?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

Other trick is to have a cast iron grate for the searing step.  Leave it in down low during the whole cook, it will then heat up from lower temp to searing temp faster.  It will give you a nice sear from the cast iron grate.  Rotate steaks 90 degrees halfway thorugh each side for nice cross hatch.

Here are some good dark sear marks on some stuffed burgersimage

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great!  Next time I am going to ask you for advice.  I love the plated pics with the grilled veggies.  What is the leafy stuff on the back of the egg?  
    Looks like bok choy? My question is, what happened to the egg plant, onions and bok choy where did those asparagus come from?  :-?

The steak look wonderful!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    That's correct.  It's baby bok choy.  It's one of my favorite veggie to grill because it really retains that smokey/bbq flavor.  Just be careful of the leaves .. they burn real quick.
    I have a large BGE, so ran out of room for all the veggies.  When I took off the steak (and other veggies), I threw in the asparagus while the grill heated up to sear.

Once I get all the meats/fish down, I will have to start trying different sear techniques.  Thanks again for all the advice!

Los Angeles, CA
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Looks like bok choy? My question is, what happened to the egg plant, onions and bok choy where did those asparagus come from?  :-?

I think the eggplant is accounted for in this pic...but yes, there a bit of veggie mystery!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options

I think the eggplant is accounted for in this pic...but yes, there a bit of veggie mystery!
    My bad! I completely overlooked that one.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Other trick is to have a cast iron grate for the searing step.  Leave it in down low during the whole cook, it will then heat up from lower temp to searing temp faster.  It will give you a nice sear from the cast iron grate.  Rotate steaks 90 degrees halfway thorugh each side for nice cross hatch.

Here are some good dark sear marks on some stuffed burgersimage

nice sear
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    I'm also a newbie to the egg world. I viewed a video of cooking steaks where you set temp high to begin with (600), seared one side for 5 minutes, and then seared the other the same. Then you closed off the air and let cook for 4 minutes for medium rare and 5 for medium. The steaks (1 1/2" tenderloins) turned out pretty darn good. I was under the impression from the video that the initial sear locked the juices in! They were moist and tender. I may try the other method mentioned here next, by slow cooking first and then sear at the end. I'm just beginning to learn the possibilities are endless with this wonderful cooker.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • CeeGeeW
    Options
    warwoman Welcome to the club.  I made another set of ribeyes, but this time took someone else advice.  I can't remember who said this or I would give credit:

"Cook them at around 350 until they are about 20 degrees short of your target temp. Take them off and open the vents on the Egg until it gets really hot. Put them back on for about a minute a side until they reach your target temp. "

I put them on at a stabilized temp of 350F for 18 mins a side (I like mine medium).  Took them off while I cranked up the egg to 600F.  Waited a little bit to get the grid nice and hot, then seared them for 90 secs a side.

This was the best steak I ever had, period.  I don't plan on experimenting anymore with rib-eyes. This is the way to do it for me.

Los Angeles, CA
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

Thanks CeeGeeW. I've got to try that myself. So many recipes........so little time!!!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!