Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg on which side?

I am looking into building a table for the egg. Lots of nice table on this site which gave me some good idea on how I wanted. Howvever I am still debating on which side should the egg be.

So what was your rational to put the egg on the left, right or middle when building your table?

Cheers!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What is your dominant hand? I am left-handed so I would put it on the right since I would be using my left to manipulate more. The right would be my lifting lid/holding beer hand.
  • Probably just a personal preference thing.  I built two at once, one for my BIL and one for me.  He wanted his egg on the left--see photo below.  Mine (no photo) is exact opposite.  I am right handed and wanted egg on the right--seemed more natural to me to load egg from pan on left to my right.  I doubt it really makes too big a difference--main thing is to be eggin.image

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I am right handed so I put my Egg on the left that works better for me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    I'm right handed and my egg is on the right side of the table.  I wanted my work surface to the left, mainly because of where it will be used most of the time on my deck. Puts the work surface closest to the door I'll be coming in and out of with food.  
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    I'm right handed and my egg is on the right. It felt more natural because I always seem to use the counter on the left of my stove when prepping food. I decided to make that transition outside when I put my table together. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dilemma is easily solved. Another egg...boom!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71

aahhh. slow day for me.. totally forgot about the whole dominant hand rational. Here I am at work trying to mimic and figure out which hand I use the most to open the egg.

I am right handed and grab everything with the right hand when possible. Looks like I will go with the egg on the left so that I don;t need to cross-over when I want to put my beer down on the table..

Thanks everyone! Now I have to strat the planning process.

• Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    Dilemma is easily solved. Another egg...boom!

I tried but still a no go for now...
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Middle. Then you can do anything either side - drink beer and squeeze the missus at the same time.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    If you build an open shelved table and you don't like your egg on the left, turn the egg 180 degrees. Boom! The egg will be on the right. <:-P
    Mark Annville, PA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    When it comes to drinking beer, I am ambidextrous. B-)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you have the room, make a big table and put it in the middle.  It's like an assembly line prep => cook => keep warm/serve

If you build an open shelved table and you don't like your egg on the left, turn the egg 180 degrees. Boom! The egg will be on the right. <:-P
    it sounds so easy til you go to open your beer and the beer opener is on the wrong side
    :(( :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I am right handed and I have the egg "mates", for what ever reason I tend to use the right "mate" more, so I guess I would build a table with the egg on the left if I only had one egg.  I have a large and small, so I think I would lean towards and egg at each end with space in the middle like @MrCookingNurse did.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    If you have the room, make a big table and put it in the middle.  It's like an assembly line prep => cook => keep warm/serve

Help, Help, A silver elephant is stealing my Egg!!!!!
    Milton, GA.
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    I'm aright but my eggs on the left simple reason being when I open the egg it's with my left hand, also it leaves me somewhere to out things like my beer, whiskey, cigar ect.. Which I don't like to use my right hand for
    HFX NS
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    If I had one egg, or an XL (hope to one day) I would put it in the middle of the table.  Having a two egg set up, or if your planning on putting another egg in one day, I would have one on each end with work space in the middle. 

My ultimate plan was an L shape with the large on the long side.  One day after school and renting homes, I will have that XL and a different set up, but mine works in a pinch ;)

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

XLBGE