Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Kitchen aid grinder/sausage stuffer

Anyone have one or right commend? Or should I go for a strict stand alone mixer? I want to grind my own beef and make pepperoni sticks and chicken sausages.

P's.. I love black, Asian, mexicans

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,046
    I'm not understanding. Do you already have the KA mixer?
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,732
    @eggcelsior , I'm more confused by this statement....

P's.. I love black, Asian, mexicans

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 1,529
    I have the KA mixer and bought the meat grinder and stuffer a couple of years ago, I have only used it a couple times and it works fine. The grinder is not heavy duty and I wouldn't recommend it for use on a daily or weekly basis but once every couple months it works fine for me.

Large BGE 2006, Small BGE 2014, Adjustable Rig R&B, PSWoo3, Thermapen.
    Weber Gasser for the Wife. 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,004

Your best bet (although not the cheapest), is to get a dedicated horizontal stuffer. The KA is garbage for stuffing, I don't know how well it does for grinding. Probably depends on how much meat you are going to grind, but I'd put my grinder up against it any day.

So save your self the headache and hassle and get a grinder and a stuffer.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

• mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,613
    Separate devices? And gri ser you would recommend? And yeah I have a Ka already
    Try looking at an old KA/Hobart attachment off of ebay. Solid metal. That will let you start off with small scale stuff since a full size grinder can be overkill for some(I don't do enough to justify it). If you like it, great. If you don't or you find that you need something bigger, resell it on Ebay. You will at least get your money back. 
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,616
    @mountaindewbass, I just bought this grinder last weekend. I used it to grind a 5.5# packer for making hamburgers. It worked great! I plan to use it to grind pork for sausage as well and will just use the stuffing plate and tubes that came with it. From the research I did, I found that a separate manual stuffer is recommended as the electric grinder with the auger can create too much heat. I'll see how it goes with what I've got before I go out and buy a separate stuffer though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Try looking at an old KA/Hobart attachment off of ebay. Solid metal. That will let you start off with small scale stuff since a full size grinder can be overkill for some(I don't do enough to justify it). If you like it, great. If you don't or you find that you need something bigger, resell it on Ebay. You will at least get your money back. 
    Wife bought me the attachment for our KA mixer because I just knew I'd use it.... Just boxed it up to move and it's still in the box two years later.  Not saying that's you, but glad I didn't buy the huge setup I was looking at. Small scale is usually best way to start a hobby 

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    Well ideally i would like to grind my own turkey meat..but its hard to come by turkey per se..i mean i could buy a whole bird and chopper up..but thats about it. 
    I want to make Falafals and it suggests using a grinder..ive been wanting to make my own chicken sausages and pepperoni sticks..so i figured why not? nows a good chance to buy one.  The KA one looks decent but it got some pretty bad reviews on amazon and on BBand Beyond website.
    Well ideally i would like to grind my own turkey meat..but its hard to come by turkey per se..i mean i could buy a whole bird and chopper up..but thats about it. 
    I want to make Falafals and it suggests using a grinder..ive been wanting to make my own chicken sausages and pepperoni sticks..so i figured why not? nows a good chance to buy one.  The KA one looks decent but it got some pretty bad reviews on amazon and on BBand Beyond website.
    look for a vintage one on ebay. All metal.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,004
    I've got the Kitchener #12. Bout a $100 at Northern Tools. LEM has one in the same price range. Makes quick work and I can do 10lb easily in a few minutes. Using it as a stuffer works, but its a PITA. Might be a reason why people get turned off on making sausage. Takes two people and its a chore. Got a 5 lb vertical stuffer for Christmas, again in the $100 range and it was just like buying a BGE...wondering why I waited so long to get one and kicking myself for not doing it sooner. That's just my experience, but if you ever get on a sausage forum, you'll hear the same kinda thing told over and over.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

• MrossMross Posts: 261
    I use the KA grinder attachment for processing my deer meat. It works fine. If you want to stuff sausages get the LEM vertical stuffer. The KA stuffer is a PITA.
    Duncan, SC
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,654
    i use the attachment, works fine, only complaint i have wth it is i would like a larger hole sized plate for coarser grinding. the small plate is useless unless you were making hot dogs. if i were doing large quantities i would want a dedicated grinder and stuffer but up to 2 butts the kitchen aide does the job for me

Ok ill probs get a KA grinder and eventually buy a stuffer seperatly...there building a Bass Pro shop and should be open soon...ill wait for the stuffer till then.

• Here is what Cooks Illustrated said on meat grinders.  The KA was a very good second choice, top rated was Waring Pro Meat Grinder at $200.  Food processor works for small batches--you freeze meat cubes for about 30 minutes before putting in FP

Hoping to single out a worthwhile contender, we rounded up four models—three stand-alone machines and a grinder attachment for our favorite KitchenAid stand mixer. We then processed 1-inch chunks of sirloin steak tips and fatty pork butt through the medium and large grinder plates, for hamburger and chorizo, respectively.

The lone hand-cranked apparatus got itself in a jam—literally. Despite its sharp, hardened steel grinding blade and large hopper, even the most muscular test cooks struggled to crank out more than a pound of ground beef or pork—a measly 50 percent of the starting weight—and were left extracting stringy, fatty wads of meat from the mechanism. The meat we were able to salvage seemed crushed, producing dense spongy results that couldn’t compare with the tender, juicy burgers and sausage made from meat put through the other grinders.

But all three motorized models processed both cuts faster than a food processor, with no pushing or prodding the meat through the hopper required. Even better, they yielded almost as much meat as we fed them, meaning no fat or sinew got stuck around the grinder plate and ground into unusable pâté. Of these, the powerful (albeit loud) winner worked particularly well, easily grinding all the meat we could fit into the hopper. It comes with a five-year warranty, which helps reconcile us to its steep price of nearly $200. Both this model and the equally efficient second place finisher were easy to assemble, which was more than we could say for our third place finisher (though the latter was a quieter, otherwise admirable performer and, at less than half the cost of the winner, still gets a thumbs-up).

What if you don’t want to buy a special appliance but still want to execute a recipe that calls for a small amount of freshly ground beef? Our favorite food processor can chop meat into a decent mince that produces acceptably tender burgers. But it’s a time-consuming business, requiring the cook to reload the processor bowl three times to mince 1 pound of meat.

The only real downside to owning a meat grinder is the cleanup (and here, the food processor is a cinch). Ensuring that every bit of meat is scrubbed away is essential for sanitation, and save for the dishwasher-safe second place finisher, the other models (including the otherwise-stellar top-of-the-line winner) came with fussy hand-washing instructions—plus the winner required that its metal parts be oiled and swaddled in towels for storage.

Bottom line: For meat-grinding enthusiasts with cash and counter space to spare, the winner is the Rolls Royce of contenders, while others should consider adding the affordable, compact second place finisher to their kitchen arsenal. With relatively few parts—most of which are dishwasher-safe—it’s a cinch to use and clean.

Cool :) That just solidified my decision. mwhaha
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,774
    Griffin said:
    I've got the Kitchener #12. Bout a $100 at Northern Tools. LEM has one in the same price range. Makes quick work and I can do 10lb easily in a few minutes. Using it as a stuffer works, but its a PITA. Might be a reason why people get turned off on making sausage. Takes two people and its a chore. Got a 5 lb vertical stuffer for Christmas, again in the $100 range and it was just like buying a BGE...wondering why I waited so long to get one and kicking myself for not doing it sooner. That's just my experience, but if you ever get on a sausage forum, you'll hear the same kinda thing told over and over.
    I've made a bunch of sausage with just the KA and this is exactly correct.  If you're gonna make a lot, and you don't want the stuffing to be a 2 person operation, get the stuffer.  I bought the LEN for around $120 or so on Amazon.  Holds 5 pounds.

Im going to pick it up at band beyond. Im making falafals tonight.. So I was looking at having it today
    Im really starting to hate auto current
    And bought. Thanks for all your input
  • pwg56pwg56 Posts: 91
    edited June 2013
    Just saw a deal where you can get the grinder for $28.28 shipped http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1280057/