Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The 4th of July Challenge

OK,  We are only 2 weeks away from the big day. I am going to a pot luck to see the fireworks.  Was thinking about bringing some chicken thighs, wings, and legs and am open to suggestions regarding something that transports well.  I also hereby challenge the group to submit pics of your best cook for the 4th of July to get the most likes and bragging rights for a year. We can declare the winner at noon Eastern on July 3. (Unless of course, no one gives a crap and this thread dies faster than a dud on the Fourth of July)

Milton, GA.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    So you have been reading this forum ^#(^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

We have a new idea man.

=D>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Tjcoley said:
    I"m trying to figure out how to stuff a sardine into a clam into a shrimp into a crab into a fish into a shark into a whale and fit it on to a large to cook to win the throw down.
    You may have to trim the tail off a bit, otherwise you're good to go :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    flynnbob said:

OK,  We are only 2 weeks away from the big day. I am going to a pot luck to see the fireworks.  Was thinking about bringing some chicken thighs, wings, and legs and am open to suggestions regarding something that transports well.  I also hereby challenge the group to submit pics of your best cook for the 4th of July to get the most likes and bragging rights for a year. We can declare the winner at noon Eastern on July 3. (Unless of course, no one gives a crap and this thread dies faster than a dud on the Fourth of July)

How do we cook on july 4th but win on july 3rd ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    bigphil said:

How do we cook on july 4th but win on july 3rd ?
    Back to the future. Fred the Flint rockster ought to know how.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    OK, Let's just take pics of your 4th cook this year.  I will sweeten the pot and send some Three Little Pigs Rub to the winner with the most likes.  Extra points for creativity......
    Milton, GA.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'm not cooking much on the fourth did to it being a Thursday, but I am doing a bacon bbq this weekend for my friend who graduated college this past weekend.

abts, bacon wrapped shrimp, bacon dipped in chocolate, and brownies topped with bacon are all on the menu so far.
  • Mickey
    BYS1981 said:
    I'm not cooking much on the fourth did to it being a Thursday, but I am doing a bacon bbq this weekend for my friend who graduated college this past weekend. abts, bacon wrapped shrimp, bacon dipped in chocolate, and brownies topped with bacon are all on the menu so far.
    Just post it on the 4th. Nobody reads this crap anyway
    $-)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Aviator said:

We have a new idea man.

=D>
    I thought we had to vote for idea guys.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Haha

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Hey, I have an idea!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Aviator said:

We have a new idea man.

=D>
    I thought we had to vote for idea guys.
    f

Whose idea was that?

• flynnbob
    JRWhitee said:
    Hey, I have an idea!

Hold that thought, We have to take a vote.
    Milton, GA.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    flynnbob said:
    JRWhitee said:
    Hey, I have an idea!

Hold that thought, We have to take a vote.
    That's what I was waiting for.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • flynnbob
    BYS1981 said:
    I'm not cooking much on the fourth did to it being a Thursday, but I am doing a bacon bbq this weekend for my friend who graduated college this past weekend. abts, bacon wrapped shrimp, bacon dipped in chocolate, and brownies topped with bacon are all on the menu so far.
    That will work.  We will give it a few days after the 4th to declare the champion.  I am heading to the Ace tomorrow to pick up some goodies for the winner. Start posting on the 4th.
    Milton, GA.
  • flynnbob

ATTENTION. ATTENTION. The July 4th Throwdown has begun.  Enter your cook pics and get the most likes by midnight on July 7 and you will be named the 2013  Independence Day Champ.

The winner will receive 3 Pigs KC rub, Bad Byron's Butt Rub and Johnny Harris BBQ sauce.

I will double down and offer the same for those who post pictures / comments and get the most likes about what our country means to you.

God Bless America...

Jeff

Milton, GA.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Who voted you in beotch? I'm the idea guy round here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2013
    Can I just post the same stuff I posted on Steven's throw-down?  Strike that.  What's the date range for the cook so we don't have cheaters like VI, Cazzy, Griffin, Little Steven and Cen-Tex posting 5 star cooks from last year's Christmas dinner.....

BTW - I can read the metadata from any picture so I'll catch ya bastardges.
    Don't forget Griffin, he'll post those sausages everywhere

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Don't forget Griffin, he'll post those sausages everywhere
    How's dat?
    Look back to the last three throwdowns. He made some tube steaks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    That should be added to the rules.  Can't repeat a previous throwdown entre.  C'mon @flynnbob - get crackin' on some structure and rules here.
    Nola, Idea guys don't do structure or rules.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    You just go in, knock up some poor girl and disappear, you idea guys you.   No theme?  So we'll end up judging the best looking meteorite when everyone submits pork butts?
    You win it, you call it. You prejudiced bastid...meteorites are sensitive too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Great, now I'll be branded forever on the forum as an anti-meteorite-ite.  I'm damaged goods.
    Say three Hail Marys and abstain from spilling the seed of thy fruit on the ground for two weeks and all will be forgiven. Or as we like to say in Canada, you go to the box..two minutes...you feel shame..den you get free

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• flynnbob

Rules .... Rules???   Don't y'all know that Idea Guys (Little Steven and me - Self Proclaimed IG) do not play by the rules of you mere mortals.  But here you go....

4th Throw Down Cook- You must post a Pic. Other throw down submissions are not acceptable.  Most likes wins and try and keep it 4th of July oriented.

Patriotic Pic - Post a Pic with a caption or comment.  Most likes wins.

International brethren, figure something out and submit it - We are just Idea Guys not ambassadors.

Winners declared by Midnight July 7.  Bunch of rubs and sauce as a prize for each.

Have fun with it.....

Milton, GA.