Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BGE! It's a small :)

Options
So I picked up a used Small BGE on craigslist for $300 :) I've looked over these forums for a while, mouth watering and all!

I'm curious what the must haves for the small are, I am an inexperienced griller, but I just like the good stuff and had to pick up a BGE ;) and now I know, I need all of the goodies to go with it! I have already bought a high-que grate, and it helped a lot with getting the temps up and well the thing that was in it was just from the get go lol! My buddy wants to smoke a turkey breast on it that he had shot not too long ago, so I guess I'm in need of a plate setter, but I guess if you were in my shoes, and know what you know, whats on the shopping list??? I'm in desperate need of some way to clean the ash out, is the ash tool that BGE sells the way to go?

Thanks!!
Lance

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    grats my first was mini, now have a large. Look at CGS it will have all you need.
    Woo (raise grid and indirect setup)
    & Stones.
    Seattle, WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Congrats on the Small! I'm in agreement with SkinnyV and would recommend you go to: http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/ and get a Woo, at least one 10" stone (2 if you want to cook pizza), and the drip pan is a good quality pan that you can just cover with foil for easy clean up.

BGE's cast iron cooking grid is pretty good if you like cooking & searing on cast iron.

Thirdeye BBQ makes a great grid lifting and hanging tool called the ThreeFinger tool:http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

If you want to wok on your Small, check out the Wok Shop for a 12" wok: http://www.wokshop.com/store/main.php

I would not recommend the ash tool. The lip under the bottom vent is pretty large and the tool is very small and is not very effective at getting ash out of the lower vent. I just open the dome and clean from the top. Some folks use a shop vac for the ash.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    +1. The ash tool is annoying. I usually clean with a shop vac and it does the job. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

HiQue grate to replace the bottom grate works wonders on the small, to the point, it is a must have.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    grats my first was mini, now have a large. Look at CGS it will have all you need. Woo (raise grid and indirect setup) & Stones.
    Was about to say the same thing.  Before buying the plate setter you might consider the woo setup for the small.

It is a little pricier.  Another option is to just rig something up.  You can get some fire bricks and rig up an indirect setup pretty easily. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.