Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Gin and Tonic - My exploration

boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273

As I have gotten a bit older ( not old yet), have started to appreciate quality over quantity.   Have been a seasonal drinker for some time, Scotch in the winter, Gin and Tonic in the summer.   Last couple of years have a fall Rum phase as a transition.   It is summer, thought I would share my Gin and Tonic exploration for anyone interested.

Was a long time Tanquie and Tonic drinker - liked the taste.  Now I have started to explore variations.   First picture are my current Gin choices.   Love the Rangpur (tanquery with a citrus flavor).   209 is something I found last summer - a bit of a bite, but very good to cut the dust.  Bombay Saphire is a staple - makes a great martini and wonderful with Tonic.   Back River, this is from a small winery in Maine ( google backriver maine).   They started doing this small batch gin a couple of years ago.  Fell in love with it.  Have been to their winery ( in a barn) and it is over the top good.  They have a scotch in production, last summer they told me it hadnt aged enough so they were going to wait another year before deciding if they would release it.  ( headed back there in August, so will have a scotch report.   Almost a cult following in maine for this Gin.

Second picture is the big item - started exploring different tonics.  The choice of tonic water makes all the difference in the world to my taste buds.  The middle one is the star, but either side are very good.   Bolyan Tonic ( middle) is a standard offering in NY/NJ, outside of there you have to get it off of Amazon.

There are n factorial drink combinations here - the different tonics with the different Gin's produce totally different tastes.

Anyway, thought I would through this out as a general information topic.   Have garnered the impression that this forum does enjoy a cocktail from time to time.

My .02 worth

imageimage
Cookin in Texas

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I am a Tanqueray and Bombay guy myself. But I still find my way to a Kettle One with blue cheese olives and Crown Black with a nice Romeo and Juliette.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Cool of you to share. I will have to give some if those a try. I am intrigued by the different tonics. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I'm a tito's guy but I do love me a Hendrick's and soda from time to time. hate tonic. Give Hendrick's a try sometime. Me thinks you'll likey
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I'm a tito's guy but I do love me a Hendrick's and soda from time to time. hate tonic. Give Hendrick's a try sometime. Me thinks you'll likey
    +1 on Tito's.  Lost 25 pounds switching to diet tonic.  Not sure I have the palate for different tonics.  
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Hendricks is a good gin, Bluecoat is amazing, bulldog and Plymouth are good also and Bombay is an old standby. Fever tree and Stirrings make my 2 favorite tonics. Bluecoat has less juniper flavor and is heavier on citrus notes. Probably my favorite gin for the last couple of years.
  • I love Bombay & tonic.  Cool thing I discovered in my youth is a gin & tonic glows in black light. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Tjcoley said:

I'm a tito's guy but I do love me a Hendrick's and soda from time to time. hate tonic. Give Hendrick's a try sometime. Me thinks you'll likey

+1 on Tito's.  Lost 25 pounds switching to diet tonic.  Not sure I have the palate for different tonics.  

+2 on Titos. So glad United had it on flights now. Makes travel that much easier. Love Titos and tonic with a lemon, not a lime.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Also moved to Tito's a couple of years ago. But thanks for the good post.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited June 2013
    Just got the copper mugs from Tito's for making Moscow Mules. Great refreshing summer drink, especially in a copper mug, the way they are meant to be served. Titosvodka.com to order them. Sorry to have hijacked the Gin thread. @Mickey @Cen-TexSmoker @sumoconnell

I do like hendriks, just havent started keeping it at the house.  Good suggestion.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum

favorite diet tonic...  this is my boat tonic...

Cookin in Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @boatbum: when you get the Hendrick's, drop a slice of cucumber in it (with tonic) and see what you think.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • boatbum
    caliking said:
    @boatbum: when you get the Hendrick's, drop a slice of cucumber in it (with tonic) and see what you think.

In florida right now - but as soon as I am back home doing this.  Love cuc's - has to be good.

In fact, might see how that goes over with the bar tender ordering at the hotel bar tom night.

Cookin in Texas
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Hendricks makes a killer cucumber martini aswell. It's the go to in our house. Funny enough my wife is affected greatly by gluten. If she has tanqueray it affects her. Hendricks doesn't.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    If ya haven't yet, try Ransom. Brown gin takes a little getting used to, but it is excellent.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Gotta have quinine...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• boatbum
    Gotta have quinine...

There is a resturant in Dallas, they used to make their own tonic out of quinine.   Thats where I discovered that tonic matters that much to the taste.  Man that was good.
    Cookin in Texas
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    May have to give Gin a try.  I while back I concluded I didn't like Scotch at all and figured that covered all whisky/whiskey.  Then I tried Irish and liked it.  16yr Bushmill is my current bottle.  Next I tried Bourbon and decided I REALLY like that.  Makers and Rowan's Creek so far.  My two favorite drinks are Irish Coffee and Mint Juleps.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    always liked gin and tonics, noticed the black river one is made with blueberries, might try some blueberry gin cocktails this summer to get rid of some of those blueberries in the yard
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    this looks good
    :D be good with some pancakes in the morning with some real maplesyrup

Blueberry Thyme Collins (serves 4)

For the apple thyme syrup:

Thyme illustration for gin collins cocktail recipe

20 sprigs of thyme each spring about 4 inches long)
    1 cup sugar (I use super fine because it dissolves really easily)
    1 ½ cups apple juice

• Crush the thyme springs in your fingers, then put everything in a small pan
    • Heat until the mixture starts to boil, swilling the liquid to help dissolve the sugar
    • Simmer for 4 minutes, then chill thoroughly

Now for the cocktail:

Blueberries illustration for gin collins cocktail recipe1 1/3 cups apple thyme syrup
    1 cup gin
    ¼ cup lemon juice (about 1 large lemon worth)
    ½ cup blueberries or ¼ cup blueberry jam
    Club Soda

• Muddle the blueberries (reserve a few for garnish) in a cocktail shaker, add some ice and pour in the syrup, gin and lemon (unless you have a super-sized shaker, this might take 2 batches)
    • Shake, then pour into glasses
    • Add ice and top up with club soda, then garnish with a blueberry

fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    @fishlessman - after being off carbs as long a you have you might go into a sugar coma if you have one of those ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    @fishlessman - after being off carbs as long a you have you might go into a sugar coma if you have one of those ;)
    i normally wouldnt even want a drink like that
    :)) ill have to back way off on the sugar syrup and go heavey with the berries, i have enough blueberries on the property i could open up a stand, always looking for ways to eat them
    fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    i normally wouldnt even want a drink like that
    :)) ill have to back way off on the sugar syrup and go heavey with the berries, i have enough blueberries on the property i could open up a stand, always looking for ways to eat them
    I think it sounds pretty good just with the muddled berries and the thyme with soda.  Perhaps a little agave nectar if it needs it... 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You guys ever use bitters in G&T?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Bitters aren't for me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It opens up the flavour of the gin but the quinine gets you in the throat. Reminds me of that purple microdot stuff from the early seventies.

Steve 

Caledon, ON