Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Restaurants Using BGE?

I get it.  It would be the most operationally inefficient way to cook for profit, but are any of you aware of restaurants in the Austin/central Texas area that actually use BGEs?  For that matter, are there any restaurants anywhere that do?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

·

Comments

• TEggSun said:
    I get it.  It would be the most operationally inefficient way to cook for profit, but are any of you aware of restaurants in the Austin/central Texas area that actually use BGEs?  For that matter, are there any restaurants anywhere that do?
    There was a guy who opened a honeybaked ham shop in Lakeway area that also sold BBQ. He used an egg. He either moved or shut down pretty quick so I didn't eat there. He may be around somewhere, not sure.

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    edited June 2013
    In Akron, OH of all places, Edgar's Restaurant, which is on a public golf course, serves food cooked on the Egg.  They serve Pork Loin, Prime Rib, Grilled Chicken, Brisket, all cooked on the Egg. The night I was there they had a thick cut smoked pork chop as a special. You walk past 3 or 4 Eggs as you enter.  After eating that pork chop, first thing I ever had on an Egg, I owned one with in 2 weeks.

• blueinatlblueinatl Posts: 94
    Here in Atlanta there is a Food Truck that uses a BGE (can't remember the name) and 2 restaurants - Muss & Turner's which had their kitchen modified to permanently use BGEs and Local Three which does some of its cooking on the patio on the BGE (both restaurants owned by the same folks).  Damn fine burgers at Local Three on Saturday afternoon's (called Burger's and Brew!)
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
    ·
  • freedog74freedog74 Posts: 62
    I cannot remember the name of the restaurant but there is one in Gainesville GA that uses a BGE as well.
    ·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    I think it might be time for a pilgrimage to Akron, Atlanta and Gainesville.  
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

·
  • bccomstockbccomstock Posts: 335
    There used to be a place in Gulfport, MS called Grate Grills & More.. They were an Egg dealer and had a restaurant as part of the place.. They have since closed.. Had some good food too. Just a tough location.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,128
    The urban cookhouse in Birmingham al use the egg to cook with. They advertise that it's awesome.

http://urbancookhouse.com/our-story/

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,272
    None here but our Cub Scout pack has one that gets used at all camp-outs. The grill-masters regularly cook up pork butts and briskets for 100-150 at a camp-out. The Egg isn't their only apparatus, but it added a nice touch. It was the first one I'd ever seen 'in ceramic' and I was immediately smitten. Similar to tj it was responsible for having one shortly thereafter. 
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,567
    blueinatl said:
    Here in Atlanta there is a Food Truck that uses a BGE (can't remember the name) and 2 restaurants - Muss & Turner's which had their kitchen modified to permanently use BGEs and Local Three which does some of its cooking on the patio on the BGE (both restaurants owned by the same folks).  Damn fine burgers at Local Three on Saturday afternoon's (called Burger's and Brew!)
    Also Atkins Park in the highlands has Big Green Egg pulled pork on their menu for a couole if items. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    Cabo Bob's over on Ben White near I35 use two BGE eggs for cooking . The place is wall to people during the lunch hour. Very good food too.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • krameskrames Posts: 57
    The Granary in San Antonio has one in their kitchen. (They also made Texas Monthly's list of top 50 BBQ places)
    ·
  • BjorgBjorg Posts: 237
    There is one in Indy, but I have not been there: http://www.chefjjs.com/
    Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • NEWB_IN_NOLANEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 124
    Rare Cuts in New Orleans cooks on a BGE for their private dinners.

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259

Wow, I've been buying stuff from them for years and never knew that.  They must have them in the back.  I've seen the dining room - the place on Magazine, right?  Wonder if they're on the forum.

·
  • Cabo Bob's over on Ben White near I35 use two BGE eggs for cooking . The place is wall to people during the lunch hour. Very good food too.

Did not know that. I'll be checking them out. I've heard its good bit never stopped in.

·
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 873
    There's a Mexican place in Bainbridge Island in Washingron that uses one
    ·
  • blueinatlblueinatl Posts: 94
    So when everyone comes to ATL to sample all the BGE food, we will have to do a get together.
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
    ·
  • The urban cookhouse in Birmingham al use the egg to cook with. They advertise that it's awesome. http://urbancookhouse.com/our-story/
    I did not know this. I will have to give it a try and report back!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • nealcr1nealcr1 Posts: 179
    Happy Belly is the food truck in ATL that uses an XL BGE.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    Chefjj in Indy is by classes. Not a regular restaurant.I

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • Cabo Bob's over on Ben White near I35 use two BGE eggs for cooking . The place is wall to people during the lunch hour. Very good food too.
    Did not know that. I'll be checking them out. I've heard its good bit never stopped in.

Headed over as we speak. it looks awesome. brisket and Queso Burrito? yes please.

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,128
    @biggreenbamagriller

It's kinda a cafe salad sandwich place but check it out.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • NEWB_IN_NOLANEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 124

Wow, I've been buying stuff from them for years and never knew that.  They must have them in the back.  I've seen the dining room - the place on Magazine, right?  Wonder if they're on the forum.
    Yep, that's the place.  I don't think they are on the forum, but I saw this come across their twitter feed one day:

I have not been to one of their private dinners yet.  Had to go out of town when friends had one planned.  However, their meat is great and I hear the dinners are awesome.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    edited June 2013
    I pretty much buy the same thing every time I'm there - the hanger steak and sometimes the flank. Good guys, great products, I'd recommend them to anyone in the NOLA area.

·
  • Cabo Bobs in austin. Pretty good. image

·
  • Cabo Bobs in austin. Pretty good. image

Now that's what I'm taking about! Need to find a place like this in Nashville.

Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
    ·