Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Double whammy spatchcocked chic

So I cooked to spatchcocked chickens last night for dinner. I've now cooked 3 chickens this way and really like the outcome. One good dinner and a whole bunch leftover for some of the best chicken salad one could make. I've had my egg for a bit over a year now and still can't believe how moist chicken is when it's cooked. It's unbelievable. I added some cherry to the cook for a nice hint of smoke.
image.jpg 1.4M
image.jpg 1.6M
image.jpg 1.4M
·

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,452
    How about posting your chicken salad recipe @Deviledegger?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Looks great.  Do you brine the bird?  I have yet to brine one but want to try it on the next one. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • SookieSookie Posts: 269
    Nice cook :)  I make chicken salad all the time!  Get a tray of breasts from Walmart or Sams for 1.99 lb, throw on some Montreal or some Butt Rub, slow smoke it over Apple (love Apple wood with chicken), and dice.  Throw in some fresh celery, sweet onion and a moderate amount of mayo, let it stand overnight and major yum.  Sometimes I set some of those chicken cubes aside to throw in pasta too :)
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,628
    Nice job I am going to try brining the next one I make. We do them at least once a week.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2013
    Here's a couple of brined spatchcocked chickens cooked over the top of some squash.  Brining makes a big difference..imageimage
    ·
  • DeviledeggerDeviledegger Posts: 235
    @TexanOfTheNorth. I sort of guess on ratios but it something like this. Pulled/chopped chicken, Mayo, fresh lemon juice(1-2 Tbs. I like lemon so I might go heavy), salt and pepper to taste, some onion chopped fine, a sprinkle of Charlie catchers creole seasoning careful because its salty, and some dried chives.
    ·
    @Charlietuna do you do all of yours indirect? 

Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    @SmokePitt I haven't brined a bird yet. I definatly want to though. However the chicken from last night was great. I can't imagine chicken being more moist, maybe more flavor though. Can't wait!
    ·
    I have not tried direct, my indirect comes out with crisp skin, and thats without turning - finishes in about forty minutes.
    ·
    @Charlietuna that squash looks just as good as the chicken. I will have to try some squash sometime.
    ·
    I need to try that next time, the only thing SWMBO doesn't like about mine is the skin isn't crispy.

Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    I don't eat a lot of butternut squash, wife does, she said this is the best she has ever had!  Let the juices from the chicken drip into it by cooking it under the chicken.
    ·
    We love butternut squash I'm gonna try that too. Thanks Charlie.

Johns Creek, Georgia

·