Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double whammy spatchcocked chic

Options
So I cooked to spatchcocked chickens last night for dinner. I've now cooked 3 chickens this way and really like the outcome. One good dinner and a whole bunch leftover for some of the best chicken salad one could make. I've had my egg for a bit over a year now and still can't believe how moist chicken is when it's cooked. It's unbelievable. I added some cherry to the cook for a nice hint of smoke.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    How about posting your chicken salad recipe @Deviledegger?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks great.  Do you brine the bird?  I have yet to brine one but want to try it on the next one. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    Nice cook :)  I make chicken salad all the time!  Get a tray of breasts from Walmart or Sams for 1.99 lb, throw on some Montreal or some Butt Rub, slow smoke it over Apple (love Apple wood with chicken), and dice.  Throw in some fresh celery, sweet onion and a moderate amount of mayo, let it stand overnight and major yum.  Sometimes I set some of those chicken cubes aside to throw in pasta too :)
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job I am going to try brining the next one I make. We do them at least once a week.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Here's a couple of brined spatchcocked chickens cooked over the top of some squash.  Brining makes a big difference..imageimage
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth. I sort of guess on ratios but it something like this. Pulled/chopped chicken, Mayo, fresh lemon juice(1-2 Tbs. I like lemon so I might go heavy), salt and pepper to taste, some onion chopped fine, a sprinkle of Charlie catchers creole seasoning careful because its salty, and some dried chives.
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    @Charlietuna do you do all of yours indirect? 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    @SmokePitt I haven't brined a bird yet. I definatly want to though. However the chicken from last night was great. I can't imagine chicken being more moist, maybe more flavor though. Can't wait!
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have not tried direct, my indirect comes out with crisp skin, and thats without turning - finishes in about forty minutes.
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    @Charlietuna that squash looks just as good as the chicken. I will have to try some squash sometime.
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    I need to try that next time, the only thing SWMBO doesn't like about mine is the skin isn't crispy.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of butternut squash, wife does, she said this is the best she has ever had!  Let the juices from the chicken drip into it by cooking it under the chicken.
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    We love butternut squash I'm gonna try that too. Thanks Charlie.

Johns Creek, Georgia