Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want to cook lots of Veggies hassle free.

six_egg
six_egg Posts: 1,110

I cook a lot of veggies regularly (squash all varieties, sweet tators, all varieties of tators, mushrooms, peppers, onions and even fruit). I like the way CI makes them crisp. I use the CGS raised on my XL. I am looking for bigger CI or other to hold all my veggies at once. Biggest I have found is 20 bayou classic. If anyone knows of  bigger CI or better ideas out there please help me out.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

Comments

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I use this one. It is smaller than the one you linked but very well made.

Quebec - Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    if your set on cast iron they make cast iron woks. with one of those rounded wok shovels flipping things is extremely easy and fast. i would probably use my steel wok though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • six_egg

Thank you for your responses.

I am not wanting to stir fry @Fishlessman. I and looking for a way I can hold all the veggies on the grill or in CI and still get the crisp char flavor.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    it will do the same thing if you use a lower heat and dont go crazy stir frying, just cook the same way and temp as you would with the pan with the lid closed.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Williams Sonoma sells a basket shaped like a fry pan with matching, i.e. domed, lid and removable handle. Would that work?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• six_egg
    it will do the same thing if you use a lower heat and dont go crazy stir frying, just cook the same way and temp as you would with the pan with the lid closed.

Ahh I see thanks.

Williams Sonoma sells a basket shaped like a fry pan with matching, i.e. domed, lid and removable handle. Would that work?

I will look into that maybe so.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @MrCookingNurse had found a nifty basket thingy a little while back, but I can't remember from where. Maybe he will chime in, but don't know if it is the size you are looking for. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    caliking said:
    @MrCookingNurse had found a nifty basket thingy a little while back, but I can't remember from where. Maybe he will chime in, but don't know if it is the size you are looking for. 
    lowes, mrbbq

also on amazon.com at that link

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2013
    I am a fan of SS. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Another thing I do a lot, is just load up some aluminum foil with veggies of choice some evoo and seasoning and toss it somewhere on the egg out of the way while I cook my meat.  

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @six_egg saw the 17" Lodge at TJMaxx, it is too big for my MBGE. The 20" would be awesome for veggies and pan pizza. 
    Have been using a 10" CI skillet for veggies and the crispy texture is much better than with a pan or ghetto foil pan. You are on the right track in my opinion.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • six_egg
    @six_egg saw the 17" Lodge at TJMaxx, it is too big for my MBGE. The 20" would be awesome for veggies and pan pizza. 
    Have been using a 10" CI skillet for veggies and the crispy texture is much better than with a pan or ghetto foil pan. You are on the right track in my opinion.....

Thanks Skiddymarker. I love veggies cooked in CI.

Thank you all for your input. I got a lot research to do now before I buy. I will no doubt buy the 20 inch CI just to awesome to pass up. Might go with the basket for the price and see how it cooks.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL