Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beach Vacation. MINI makes the trip

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Well I posted a decent pork shoulder cook yesterday from the beach. Been a great trip so far. Pissed I didn't get pics of the trout I caught, cleaned, and egged in same day. That was fantastic. Attached is the 5.4lb pok shoulder that nearly defeated me under the influence. Here is the view from our porch at Deadisto Island. The back of the house. And how vacant the beach is. Love coming here and being secluded with the family and the egg. Got some bacon frying away on the mini griddle right now that will go atop some turkey burgers. Hope all is well at work this week but going to have to catch that next week. Forgot camera so stuck with phone pics
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Real nice. Can't  wait to hit Seaside in a month....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    It looks like the lid will just close.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Bacon frying away on griddle
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Shhhhh. Don't tell my nutritionist sister in law the burgers are fried in bacon grease...
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I love Edisto, I'll be there in a few weeks
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Slobberdog
    Slobberdog Posts: 54
    Options
    Mickey said:

We'll be at Seaside July 21-26. Let me know if your trip overlaps.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Shhhhh. Don't tell my nutritionist sister in law the burgers are fried in bacon grease...

I won't tell if I get one of those burgers!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Finished with bacon then chedda cheese
  • Chubbs
    Options

One of my favorites. I was born in Garden City now my parents live in Beaufort SC. Edisto is a treat for me. Nice and secluded.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Grear pics Chubbs!  Coincidentally, we are at "our" Seaside this week (SWMBO, me, and the mini) for my birthday.  We are not quite as warm as "your" Seaside, but it's sure great being here!  Just hoping for some sun so we can put the egg to work.

:-j
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mickey
    Options
    That would have been cool. July 13 - 20th. First time to stay at Phenomenon. Where are you guys?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Grear pics Chubbs!  Coincidentally, we are at "our" Seaside this week (SWMBO, me, and the mini) for my birthday.  We are not quite as warm as "your" Seaside, but it's sure great being here!  Just hoping for some sun so we can put the egg to work.

:-j
    Best laid plans of mice and m......  Once more wrong coast Seaside John. One of these days we will make it your way.

• Slobberdog
    Slobberdog Posts: 54
    Options
    Mickey said:

That would have been cool. July 13 - 20th. First time to stay at Phenomenon. Where are you guys?

Lady On The Beach. Just leave any leftover adult beverages on the front porch.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Slobberdog    In the past 12 years about 8 different houses, just not Lady on the Beach (nice house). Do you know Charlie Modica? Been working on him to get an Egg. Thought he was when we left last year.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

@Mickey, you know we are just wating for you!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Got some ABTs going on this afternoon with some fresh peppers from the charleston farmers market. Pics to come. The mini ha been working her tail off.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Thanks @chubbs I'm bringing the mini to the beach on Friday and was planning to do a butt. Haven't done a low n slow on the mini before...any tips? Did you have to refill the lump?
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    No refill on lump. You end up cooking in foil so pretty fast cook. Do you have a mini woo and indirect stones? If not I don't suggest doing it unless you are not afraid of failure. Will all the best gear I got mediocre results. Pork tastes much better now though. I would go 5lb butt max and DON'T GO ON VACATION WITHOUT YOUR NORMAL RUBS.
    Mini is the best thing I have bought forum egg addiction.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    I have the woo and pizza stone for indirect and I already packed my dizzy dust! Did you pull out dome therm? Did you basically turbo it? I was thinking a 3-4 lb BB. I got our mini in April and have used it more than the large since we got it.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Chubbs my large came with me to the beach for a weeks worth of family reunion. I was nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof coming down I 26.
    Duncan, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    One of my favorites. I was born in Garden City now my parents live in Beaufort SC. Edisto is a treat for me. Nice and secluded.
    Have you ever been down to Kiawah or Seabrook? I love watching the dolphins on Kiawah river. I lived on Isle of Palms for a few years while my mom did her residency at MUSC. We go to either Kiawah or IOP every summer. My uncle has a couple of condos in Myrtle Beach so we also swing by there(North Myrtle and Cherry Grove).
  • Chubbs
    Options
    6 large jalapeños fit nicely. Stuffed with a mix of goat and cream cheese, onions, fresh garlic, and some rub.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the running updates - makes me feel like I'm right there with ya. Except I don't have any ABT's to eat!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @eggcelsior, yep been to both. While I was trout fishing last Friday, there were 6 porpoises right behind us. Always know I am home when I see them. Seems we may cross paths one day- soon.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for the running updates - makes me feel like I'm right there with ya. Except I don't have any ABT's to eat!
    Or Beer to drink

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Chubbs
    Options
    I have been on an incredible bender. Road tripping to Tallahassee tomorrow until Sunday. Got a wedding to attend. Yes, the mini is going to the wedding too.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Chubbs we must be brothers separated at birth.

• Mickey
    Options

Chubbs a good friend LawnRanger did a cook  that I wanted to try but forgot till now.

It would work for Mini's at the beach to feed several. He cooked and pulled pork tenderloins.

Man it looked good (Mike said it was good).

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Have you ever been down to Kiawah or Seabrook? I love watching the dolphins on Kiawah river. I lived on Isle of Palms for a few years while my mom did her residency at MUSC. We go to either Kiawah or IOP every summer. My uncle has a couple of condos in Myrtle Beach so we also swing by there(North Myrtle and Cherry Grove).
    Now you're talking my language.  I vacation in Cherry Grove every summer.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @YEMTrey

Where at? My uncle has a place at Sea Cabins.