Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How old were YOU when you...

Comments

• ETBee
    ETBee Posts: 46
    53.  I had been reading about them on various bulletin boards (but did not yet know of this one) for a couple of years.  Finally found one on CL for an acceptable price and pulled the trigger.  Still cost more than my last 3 grills combined, but I am having a lot of fun grilling now. 
  • Love the Canadian spelling of "humour". Me thinks Stike is still dormant. Just a guess though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    51, soon to be eight years ago. Admired them from a distance until my 4th and last steel offset grill rusted out. Now have two of them. Love being a grill geek.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    36 (last December). Started on a gasser 7 or so years ago, unused for the last 4. The idea for an egg had been smoldering for about 6 years. Switched to all charcoal about 4 years ago, and learned to smoke/bbq/grill on a combination of Webers, homebrewed drum smokers, and other gizmos I built. Beginning of last year, i started saving in earnest for an egg - negotiated my power rate with the utility company, protested my property taxes (by myself, and kept a commission for myself!), birthday money, etc. 

Once the large came home last December, the others followed it home and just happened to show up one fine day :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    56, had a good friend that got one and I said, I work too hard to not have the best so Santa brought me my LBGE. So glad my dealer talked me out of the medium. SWSBO of 33 years says she hasn't' had a bad meal off it yet.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I was 30. I was deployed to Iraq for the um-teenth time and wanted to buy myself something nice for my trouble. It was a choice between a $4k gun and whatever the best smoker I could find was. I found the XL big green egg on the net. I checked out the Whiz's site and this forum. The rest is history. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    29, as a gift from my mom.

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    32. Had a neighborhood cookout and my neighbor cooked ribs on his XL. We had a two hour long conversation about it and I watched him cook. Went to the mothership that same day and brought home my large. Now I have. Large, medium, and mini!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I was around 40 and shopping at a grill store looking for some wood chunks and saw a strange green thing in the middle of the showroom floor. Loved it. The husband doesn't do change very well so we bought another gasses and then another and another. Finally I put my foot down some 25 years later and we got the egg 2 years ago. Today he was very happy with the good eats that came off the egg.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • hafa_adaiLF
    hafa_adaiLF Posts: 6
    edited June 2013

30- My siblings and I bought the old-man one for his 60th B-day last year.  He lives 300 miles away, wife was tired of making the drive just so we could use/enjoy it and me talking about it all the time.

So she gave me a LBGE for our 5th anniversary/1st Father's Day.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I was 30 and it was about a year of wishing until I finally pulled the trigger. it took a year because I did some research and was a student at the time. I know am looking into a second egg in the not so far away future.
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2013
    After rebuilding my gasser three times over the years, last year it rusted again.I said to my wife I wouldn't fix it again and wanted an Egg.
       I guess she missed my cooking.
     Last month my wife said lets go to the garden nursery the have a no tax event, this was their first week selling eggs.
    An early fathers day gift she said.
    The next day she hit costco and my fridge was half full of meat, before I even took the egg off the truck.
    Brampton, Ontario

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I was 36 when the egg came home.  We had a rusted out gasser and was looking at replacing it.  Saw a competitor at Costo, then found this forum and was set straight.  Back that one went and I was eagerly looking for an EggFest.  Found one and ordered could not believe the food off of it!  I love it!!  Last summer had so much fun learning and testing things out.  
  • becox87
    becox87 Posts: 4
    25 when I picked up my LG in April. Had previously been cooking on an offset rig. I have cooked on multiple smokers/setups and the BGE beats them all handily.
  • ambergirl
    ambergirl Posts: 8
    I got mine last month as a wedding gift from my bosses. I am 32 and a huge foodie. I work as a kitchen designer and we were talking about starting to sell outdoor kitchens and I started babbling on about The Big Green Egg and how cool they are and that we should look into selling them. I didn't think they were even listening to me and then I opened the card from them at my gift opening and there was a brochure for my Egg inside. I cried like a baby. The hubby, Eggy and I have been living in wedded bliss ever since.
    Woodbury, MN. Large BGE
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I was 67 years old when I got my Egg!
  • banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    27.  I bought my XL in July of last year after an end of fiscal year bonus.  I'd always had a charcoal grill and wanted something nice.  I probably use my egg 4 or more times a week.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited June 2013
    45, I had been talking about wanting an Egg for a couple years but never pulled the trigger than 7 years ago I won my fantasy football league winning $1,200, my wife asked what I was going to do with the money, since we just finished Christmas I said probably just pay off some bills. SWMBO than says you always wanted a Green Egg.....I was smoking ribs that weekend on my Brand New Large Big Green Egg, I bought the table for the large as well.  :x

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    55. A good grilling friend, who was normally a level-headed guy, got one about 5 years years ago and was constantly raving about the thing. He moved away around this same time and so I never got to try the food. Then I noticed about 3 years ago that most of the premier posters on the other forum I belonged to were switching over to a BGE. Within two years most of them had been assimilated. Got mine last August with the intent of lightening the load on my aging gasser & smoker. It lightened it all right. My BIL has the smoker and I have used my gasser 2 times since I got the Egg. 6 months later I had a second large.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    54. Always used charcoal. Have used weber for last 8 years and brinkman before that and forever. I cook year round and had never ate off of a egg. Had lot of good cooks on the weber. But a friend told me of the food he had eaten off of a egg. Started looking at them and was hating the $$$$$. Decided on xl because of size grill space. Was used to 22 1/2" did not want to downsize. Have had my xl for about 2 months and now looking at small. Love the egg cannot say enough about it. Best money I have spent.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219

16 and we're still together....Wait what was the question?

I got my Egg a 3 weeks ago as a 31st b-day gift from my wife.  I really was only looking for eggs for about a month or 2 after trying some pulled pork off of one.  I was trying to fine one cheap on CL with no luck.  I talked to a dealer and he told me that people love them and the only way I was going to get a used one is if I inherited it.  So I knew I was getting a new one.

Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    ReldtiCDN said:
    After rebuilding my gasser three times over the years, last year it rusted again.I said to my wife I wouldn't fix it again and wanted an Egg.
       I guess she missed my cooking.
     Last month my wife said lets go to the garden nursery the have a no tax event, this was their first week selling eggs.
    An early fathers day gift she said.
    The next day she hit costco and my fridge was half full of meat, before I even took the egg off the truck.
    Heart Lake nursery? I had to go pick up a couple of trees there last weekend and saw they had the eggs. I think I sold three while I was there. I think I'm doing a demo for them in a couple of weeks. Want to join me?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bcran
    bcran Posts: 37
    Got mine two weeks ago for my 32nd birthday.  Wife was going to surprise me, but decided that spending $1000 should probably be discussed first since she's a stay at home mom.  It was totally her idea and I'm really glad she "let" me get one!
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Just got my first egg a few months ago at 30. Been cooking on a pit with more leaks than a Soviet submarine and got tired of inconsistent cooks. Decided I was going to save up all year to buy one, but when we got our taxes done earlier this year and realized how huge of a return we were getting, thanks to daddy's favorite new little deduction, I decided I deserved it, and my family and friends deserved good bbq, dammit! 

Bought my XL and plate setter, built a table and never looked back. I'd love to augment with a small or mini when the time is right and I've got the cash. Right now, I'm too busy working and going to school to make use of both, but I look forward to the day when I can have another. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    6 months ago got my XL 2 months later got my small (i was/am 28) i wanted one for about 6 months prior to getting one prior to getting my eggs i had a masterbuilt smoker and a char-broil gasser.... Got rid of the gasser and the smoker died...
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited June 2013
    I was 34.. Got it last year just before Christmas.. An acquaintance of my wife was having a garage sale and posted a pic of the Egg on Facebook saying it and the table were available before the start of the garage sale. Went and looked at it in the dark that night.. Checked for cracks, etc.  Paid for it and picked it up the next day.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I was 54 when I got my 1st egg I had knew about the BGE for about 5 or so years but never thought about buying  because of the expense ,so for christmas my wife and children chipped in and got me the large ,well since I have been egging almost non stop and wonder  how I lived with out the egg 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Guess I should chip in.  At 40, I got mine for Xmas last year.  I cook by trade and had heard of the Egg for years but couldn't overcome the price.  Gasser finally rusted out and somehow I was able to convince my wife to pull the trigger.  Couldn't be happier! 
    MBGE in Charleston

• 56 9/10.  My old charcoal grill was on its last leg.  My wife was approached about a school scrap metal drive so she thought it would be a good time and an easy way to get rid of the old grill.  My 57th birthday was coming up so she gave me the checkbook and said get a new grill.

I have a friend who is always posting pictures of things he has cooked on the grill.  When asking him what he used, I mistakenly used the g-word, gas, when referring to what he was using to cook with.  Boy, did I get an earful!  I have always loved grilling with charcoal so this worked out perfectly because my wife was pushing a gas grill and I just wasn't sure about the tanks, the lighting, etc.  So my friend helped me purchase my large BGE and a few accessories.  While we were there in the store, I saw a cool table to place the Egg in and inquired about it and bought it also.  Walla!  I have my Egg station!

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    33. bought it for my bday. that was 7 yrs ago. never really wanted 1 til the day I bought it.