Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do you replace the gasket?

Options
No matter how hard I try, I get splatters of grease and sauce on my gaskets-- mostly the bottom but of course when it is shut, and cooks it is also on the top.

Can they be cleaned w/o effecting their ability to still keep heat in?
And if so how and what to clean with?

Finally when do you know the gasket has to be replaced?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Well my Large is 5 years without a gasket and my Mini is 3 years without a gasket.  So my answer would be: NEVER.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Never tried to clean the gasket-and whether you can run without a gasket (commando) or need a replacement depends on how your BGE responds w/o the gasket.  If you can control temperatures across the range you use and can shut down the BGE w/o losing all your remaining lump then no need like @Mickey.  Otherwise you should consider replacing.  Of course @Mickey running commando has led to his development/discovery of turbo cooking on the BGE.  But that's for another thread.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    It is like wearing a belt with pants. Helps hold but not absolutely necessary.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When the old gasket fails, smoke will pour out it. 
    Options
    My Rutland is 4 years old, has never been replaced and certainly not cleaned! Hell, I don't even clean my GRID!  :D

RRP, on the other forum, has a 9 year old Rutland on one of his eggs! If his is anything like mine, it probably looks fairly new. Btw, with the Rutland, you only need to install it on the base.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    As long as the gasket is soft enough to form a seal without letting smoke out, it is OK. I've never cleaned mine and it is covered with crud (although I have changed it a few times)
    I can understand why a Rutland lasts so long when used in an egg, heck the one I replaced in my wood stove is at least 3 years old and sees much hotter temps for much longer burns than the egg ever has and it looks new. A Rutland installed on a ceramic cooker is pretty much a gasket on permanent vacation. 
    I'm still not sold on using a Rutland around food, to each his own. I also like the gasket installed both top and bottom, providing a softer seal around my Maverick probe cable. Just my thoughts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    The cost and and ease of installation makes the Rutland a very good investment.  My factory gasket was shot in three months.  The big advantage i noticed was how fast my egg shuts down and it saves lump.  Another advantage is the cushion effect the gasket provides upon closing.      
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Another good point for the Rutland is that it's thick enough to provide a good seal when you have probe wires going into the dome.

A very good gasket. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    Options
    What's the deal about the Rutland with food?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I agree with Mickey, Chubbs, Nola, Skiddy etc. unless smoke is pouring out and you are having trouble holding temperatures its fine, my gasket looks like crap and I have a new one in the drawer but no smoke comes out and I hold temps all night long without a Digi Q or anything. So no need yet.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • miguelramosv
    Options
    Question to all of you as I evaluate what to replace  my gasket with (some parts of it have started to burn off)...

I'm concerned about voiding the warranty. If installing a rutland gasket with the Permalex ultracopper - if something happens to the base (not due to the gasket), would it be easy to remove the rutland gasket and silicone for a warranty replacement?
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I've used high-temp Permatex for years engine blocks, etc.  It's easy to remove if necessary.  A 3M Paint Stripper will make quick work of it without damaging the ceramic.

3M Paint and Rust Stripper

I recently installed the Rutland gasket using the Permatex Copper after going commando for a few months.  I didn't think I would, but I noticed a big difference in lump consumption and temperature control.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    The rutlands are easily removed
    Mark Annville, PA
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Options
    Fried my first gasket, so I bought a new one. Destroyed it after 2 pizzas, been without it ever since. No difference!
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • miguelramosv
    Options
    That feedback on being able to easily remove the permatex and Rutland has reassured me. Thank you gents!