Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket trim?

Hello I have a small piece of gasket that came with my egg is this to go around the top vent where the daisy wheel sits?

Do you guys use it?

thanks.

Jamie.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Canman1976... I didn't get anything like that with mine or, if I did I didn't see it or know what it was and it got thrown away.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Save it for installing inside your top vent -- might keep it from gettin busted??
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

Don't know TexanoftheNorth is yours a new egg?Maybe they only just started suppling this.

Good idea tho..hopefully the DW won't come of at all when opening.

• CANMAN1976
    edited June 2013
    Inside top vent or around the outside of the top vent ?

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2013
    @CanMan1976.... just got mine (a large) at the beginning of May.

It is possible that I overlooked it in the packaging and tossed it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Just got an XL to go with my med.  They've replaced the previously supplied wool gasket with a high heat gasket.  Looks like their throwing in a 6-8 inch strip of the wool gasket.  Probably just trying to liquidate their stock. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    I got it with my XL too. I installed it around the top to seal up the ceramic top. (outside top vent)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I'd stick it on the outside of the chimney area to help seal up the dfmt. I was looking at a Kamodo Joe the other day and it looks like standard issue on their units.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    its for the chimney. I installed mine on the dome not the inside of the dfmt. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    If you use it on the dome opening, just make sure that the rain cap fits snuggly and allows you to snuff the fire. I have a MBGE and the DFMT and rain cap fit pretty well. I think the big issue with fit is not when cooking, more with taking a cover off - the cap or DMFT kinda comes off with the cover. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976

Would putting this extra gasket material inside the green ceramic cap itself be better than outside of the egg dome vent??? Probably doesn't matter?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Inside the green cap - I think so.....  Keep the racoons from climbing inside.