Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gasket trim?

Hello I have a small piece of gasket that came with my egg is this to go around the top vent where the daisy wheel sits?

Do you guys use it?

thanks.

Jamie.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,910
    @Canman1976... I didn't get anything like that with mine or, if I did I didn't see it or know what it was and it got thrown away.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,563

Don't know TexanoftheNorth is yours a new egg?Maybe they only just started suppling this.

Good idea tho..hopefully the DW won't come of at all when opening.

edited June 2013
    Inside top vent or around the outside of the top vent ?

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,910
    edited June 2013
    @CanMan1976.... just got mine (a large) at the beginning of May.

It is possible that I overlooked it in the packaging and tossed it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Just got an XL to go with my med.  They've replaced the previously supplied wool gasket with a high heat gasket.  Looks like their throwing in a 6-8 inch strip of the wool gasket.  Probably just trying to liquidate their stock. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 1,443
    I got it with my XL too. I installed it around the top to seal up the ceramic top. (outside top vent)
    Biloxi, MS
    XL / Small

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    I'd stick it on the outside of the chimney area to help seal up the dfmt. I was looking at a Kamodo Joe the other day and it looks like standard issue on their units.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,108
    its for the chimney. I installed mine on the dome not the inside of the dfmt. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,198
    If you use it on the dome opening, just make sure that the rain cap fits snuggly and allows you to snuff the fire. I have a MBGE and the DFMT and rain cap fit pretty well. I think the big issue with fit is not when cooking, more with taking a cover off - the cap or DMFT kinda comes off with the cover. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 

Would putting this extra gasket material inside the green ceramic cap itself be better than outside of the egg dome vent??? Probably doesn't matter?

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,450
    Inside the green cap - I think so.....  Keep the racoons from climbing inside.